J2013
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have been a waiter, on a 0 hour contract, for the last four years. I worked there for a year solid and then only during the summer between university terms. Since graduating, I have returned. I work consistently and usually about 35 hours per week. My question: I am looking to leave soon but my contract says 28 days notice required. I was under the impression zero contract meant zero obligation to work. Is it possible to give 28 days notice as required by contract but refuse to work throughout that period?
J2013
Rep:
?
Bump
blinin7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I joined a zero-hour job a month ago and during the interview/briefing I was told that, as you said there was NO legal obligation to conduct any work, and you can legally go months without accepting work - as you are not under contract to do any work. So yes in theory, because of the name 'Zero-hours contract' i'm almost 100% certain that you don't have to conduct any work. Otherwise if you were forced to do any hours it would surely be a part-time/full-time contract. 0 Hours means just that, you don't have to work any hours under law.

This is from what I have heard from my boss, obviously you should be courteous and give advance notice that you don't want to do any work in the 28 days though. I may be wrong, but, just looking at the name of the contract, and what I have been told by my boss shows that you don't have any obligation to do any work.
blinin7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just looking on the government website, it says quite clearly:

• they don’t have to do work when asked

(https://www.gov.uk/contract-types-an...hour-contracts)

Which means you almost certainly don't have to do any work during this period
J2013
Rep:
?
(Original post by blinin7)
Just looking on the government website, it says quite clearly:

• they don’t have to do work when asked

(https://www.gov.uk/contract-types-an...hour-contracts)

Which means you almost certainly don't have to do any work during this period
As I thought, but what is the point in imposing a 28 day notice period then?
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by J2013)
I have been a waiter, on a 0 hour contract, for the last four years. I worked there for a year solid and then only during the summer between university terms. Since graduating, I have returned. I work consistently and usually about 35 hours per week. My question: I am looking to leave soon but my contract says 28 days notice required. I was under the impression zero contract meant zero obligation to work. Is it possible to give 28 days notice as required by contract but refuse to work throughout that period?
Might be worth saying that TSR isn't a place to seek legal advice and if you do then nobody on here can be held responsible....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If there's a notice period in your contract you'll go with that. Otherwise there'll probably be an implied notice of 4 weeks because you've been working for them for 4 years.

That assumes of course your employer is strict enough to enforce this, if they're a casual employer they'll probably just let you go after a week or two.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (72)
67.29%
I don't have everything I need (35)
32.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise