The Student Room Group

FY1 DGH experiences in Glasgow & Edi

Any experiences with respect to Edi/Glasgow DGHs?

Looking for a good teaching place and some good learning experiences in both surgery and medicine (in general) - not really into any particular direct speciality..for now as an fy1.....

I probably will be looking for the direct speciality in my fy2, (surgery - mainly breast/HPB surgery....)

Any info on
Borders General Hospital, Melrose, Roxburghshire
Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy

Ayr Hospital, Ayr
Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock
Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley
Vale of Leven District General Hospital, Alexandria
Dumfries and Forth Valley?

Thanks have a great day :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there just checking you saw my reply on the thread you posted this on first?
Happy to answer any specific questions you have about the places I know about

Borders General Hospital - a little out of the way, but I have heard from friends who are now FYs here that it is excellent for teaching and has very supportive staff. Never been myself, but all that I've heard is positive.

Ayr Hospital - similar to above really. I've not been there for placement personally but I hear that the teaching is amazing!

Crosshouse - I've heard it is good for FY, well supported ect but teaching maybe not quite as good as the others above.

Royal Alexandra Hospital - I was here for a 10 week medicine block and it was great! I really liked the hospital. It has good teaching and very friendly and helpful staff. All the FYs I spoke to loved being at the RAH and all really enjoyed working there. It has quite a lot on the go for a DGH, and a large number of FYs too. Consultants ect were very happy to help, I was able to arrange an audit when I was there.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the others - but I hope that I've managed to help you out a bit
Reply 2
Yep saw your post and did a quick a wiki search.

But asking around re experiences in particular hospitals....

Hoping someone has some info on forth valley and victoria :wink:
Ayr hospital - Pretty good wee hospital. Staff were friendly and enthusiastic (ortho). Accommodation is good (actual houses) but they do not have wi-fi. Fresh towels provided. Good canteen. A bit isolated as outside of the town but regular bus 4/5

Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock - Good wee hospital. Staff friendly and enthusiastic (A&E). Apparently, 3rd busiest A&E in Scotland. The accommodation is not bad - decent sized rooms and in good state Free wi-fi. Canteen not bad. No fresh towels. Pretty close to the town and with regular buses. 4.25/5

Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley - Nothing special. No idea about accomodation. Older building. Not awful but definitely not high up on my list. 3/5

Dumfries and Forth Valley - Free accommodation for FY1, I believe. Free wi-fi. Very good atmosphere at the hospital with enthusiastic staff (A&E, surgery, ortho). GREAT canteen (front of house cooking). Fresh towels 4.5/5
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
thanks - forth valley/victoria anyone?
Reply 5
just curious...which hospital would you give a 5/5 :rolleyes:

the highest you gave was a 4.5 :smile:

Original post by Differential
Ayr hospital - Pretty good wee hospital. Staff were friendly and enthusiastic (ortho). Accommodation is good (actual houses) but they do not have wi-fi. Fresh towels provided. Good canteen. A bit isolated as outside of the town but regular bus 4/5

Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock - Good wee hospital. Staff friendly and enthusiastic (A&E). Apparently, 3rd busiest A&E in Scotland. The accommodation is not bad - decent sized rooms and in good state Free wi-fi. Canteen not bad. No fresh towels. Pretty close to the town and with regular buses. 4.25/5

Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley - Nothing special. No idea about accomodation. Older building. Not awful but definitely not high up on my list. 3/5

Dumfries and Forth Valley - Free accommodation for FY1, I believe. Free wi-fi. Very good atmosphere at the hospital with enthusiastic staff (A&E, surgery, ortho). GREAT canteen (front of house cooking). Fresh towels 4.5/5
Ayr Hospital, Ayr
Dumfries and Forth Valley

Can't comment on the Edinburgh DGHs, but I know the West of Scotland ones well enough having either trained/lived/been at every single one of them for at least 6 months. All of the DGHs in the West of Scotland have a decent history of providing good training and hands on experience. Part of this is the DGH versus Central Glasgow Hospital divide and the DGH consultants in my experience go the extra mile maybe because they feel they have something to prove vs their colleagues in Central Glasgow :biggrin:! You'll get good clinical experience, and better than say at Glasgow Royal/Western imo.

Of these you mention Forth Valley has the newest building I think so their accommodation would be better if that's an issue. Ayr is the next newest. Crosshouse/Paisley have had some new refurb of rooms etc but their asccommodation is likely to be less good then FV/Ayr. Nightlife wise, Paisley is a lot easier to get into Glasgow so that might be a consideration.
Original post by RosaPonselle
Ayr Hospital, Ayr
Dumfries and Forth Valley

Can't comment on the Edinburgh DGHs, but I know the West of Scotland ones well enough having either trained/lived/been at every single one of them for at least 6 months. All of the DGHs in the West of Scotland have a decent history of providing good training and hands on experience. Part of this is the DGH versus Central Glasgow Hospital divide and the DGH consultants in my experience go the extra mile maybe because they feel they have something to prove vs their colleagues in Central Glasgow :biggrin:! You'll get good clinical experience, and better than say at Glasgow Royal/Western imo.

Of these you mention Forth Valley has the newest building I think so their accommodation would be better if that's an issue. Ayr is the next newest. Crosshouse/Paisley have had some new refurb of rooms etc but their asccommodation is likely to be less good then FV/Ayr. Nightlife wise, Paisley is a lot easier to get into Glasgow so that might be a consideration.

Forth Valley accommodation is in the old Falkirk hospital, about 10min drive away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ayr accomodation STILL has no wifi.. despite being told it was going in in August started this block and nope, no wifi. hospital wifi is questionable at best so just be aware.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending