Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    h, a quick question
    is biology at AS levelm needed for medicine at uni? would it be okay to do physics, maths , f maths and chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    most i've seen prefer Bio to at least AS, but have a look on the individual websites/prospectuses of some of them to find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    h, a quick question
    is biology at AS levelm needed for medicine at uni? would it be okay to do physics, maths , f maths and chemistry?
    Believe or not biology is not essential for medicine ek: However if I was you I would pick it up somewhere in your course as it is prefered but not essential, as on a medicine course the 1st and / or 2nd yr are dedicated to teaching you the principles of science for med, so they teach you all the bio you need. However as medicine is so competitive and especially if your applying next year (as the comp. will really really tough, due to the new tuition fees being imposed the yr after so less ppl will be taking gap yrs etc...) a/s bio would seem to be essential to get yourself on that course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Believe or not biology is not essential for medicine
    That used to be the case but now more and more medical schools (e.g. Imperial, UCL, King's) require biology at AS to qualify for applying. Therefore if you wanted to keep your options more open when choosing medical schools I would strongly recommend taking biology at AS.

ReputationRep:
    Its not essential for many med schools, but it really will help to have it, or you're going to find first year a real struggle.

ReputationRep:
    h, a quick question
    yes and no....it depends on where you want to go really.
    all the london unis require bio at least at AS level...but a lot of other reputable unis like manchester and southampton dont.
    i am doing those subjects too but had to take up AS bio for kings!
    another things is....most (if not all) med schools don't consider maths and f maths as 2 separate subjects so you may end up getting an offer for chem, physics and fmaths rather than maths! (that's what manchester gave me)....i was quite unhappy about that~
    in a way, i regret doing it because it was A LOT of work!

anyway, i hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I think both biology and chemistry are required for medicine are they not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    I think both biology and chemistry are required for medicine are they not?
    really?!?! :confused:
    i dont know how things have changed for the 2005 entry and i seem to have lost my trusty "getting into medical school" guide but i think it's only Nottingham that wants both Biology and Chemistry full A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    yes as a simple answer

i neva took bio as last yr
    and wen i decided to apply for med this yr... i realised that pretty much every place i wanted to go wanted bio at least as an AS

so now i'm taking 3 a levels plus bio AS... talk about the extra pressure
    ah well cant wait for the gap yr...

ReputationRep:
    Well, as booooring as it may sound...and probably NOT what u want to hear....

all Unis are different in terms of what they want, my advie to you would be pick out a few Unis that u like the sound of, and have a look at there entry reqs. If you're not sure, just give em a ring...theyre more than happy to answer any Qs.

For example, Leeds didint require me to have biology, they just wanted chem and gave me an offer.

However, I would recommend you take bio, further maths is a wierd one cos they often say maths and f.maths is just counted as 'MATHS'...and you dont get the full credit for it. Bio, not human bio, is good to have, as many med schools teach you the A-Level bio in ur first term...and if you've already done it, it wont be so stressful.

ReputationRep:
    h, a quick question
    in 70% of cases yes - requirements are specified on med school websites - do a course search on www.ucas.co.uk to get quick access to all med school web sites.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 10, 2004

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.