The Student Room Group

Why do some universities/courses offer a range of entry requirements?

What does it mean if for example an entry requirement for one uni is AAB/ABB? Can we choose which grades we can have an offer on? But if so then wouldnt everyone pick the lower grade ABB? Or does the uni itself make the decision?

I was wondering this because for my insurance choice i was going to put down Cardiff uni for pharmacy but i can't if i have to get AAB for an offer because then it'll be the same as my firm choice. So it would be great if the grade was ABB as then its one grade lower, if that makes sense.
Original post by ~amethyst~
What does it mean if for example an entry requirement for one uni is AAB/ABB? Can we choose which grades we can have an offer on? But if so then wouldnt everyone pick the lower grade ABB? Or does the uni itself make the decision?

I was wondering this because for my insurance choice i was going to put down Cardiff uni for pharmacy but i can't if i have to get AAB for an offer because then it'll be the same as my firm choice. So it would be great if the grade was ABB as then its one grade lower, if that makes sense.

When entry requirements are expressed in this way, the lower offer will usually be given to students with extenuating circumstances, or from disadvantaged backgrounds. You don't get to chose, and it's unlikely that you'll get the lower offer.

Some universities will lower entry requirements if you've taken certain subjects at A-level, e.g. some science courses will have a lower offer for those who took 3 science A-levels.
It means that when you get the offer, the university will usually ask you for ABB, or, in case this year there's lots of competition for that course, AAB. It pretty much tells you that after reading your application, the uni will decide what they want you to get and it's usually either AAB or ABB. You don't get to choose.
Reply 3
Original post by SakuraBlossom
It means that when you get the offer, the university will usually ask you for ABB, or, in case this year there's lots of competition for that course, AAB. It pretty much tells you that after reading your application, the uni will decide what they want you to get and it's usually either AAB or ABB. You don't get to choose.

But how do they decide? I mean why would they say ABB for some but others AAB? Do we get any input?
But how do they decide? I mean why would they say ABB for some but others AAB? Do we get any input?

It's often for people with extentuating circumstances, people who get contextual offers (bottom 20% of sixth forms), and potentially people who take preferred subjects.

When looking at these grade spreads, unless you know you have something that is likely to give you ABB, assume that you'll have an AAB offer

Slowloris's answer tells you what the situation is. She has worked in admissions.

You won't get any input. Universities assume that candidates will always want the lowest offer possible. If you want to know how they make the decision, you can contact the university directly, but usually if you're eligible for the contextual (lower) offer, you'll know about it.
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You won't get any input. Universities assume that candidates will always want the lowest offer possible. If you want to know how they make the decision, you can contact the university directly, but usually if you're eligible for the contextual (lower) offer, you'll know about it.

Makes much more sense thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Some universities will lower entry requirements if you've taken certain subjects at A-level, e.g. some science courses will have a lower offer for those who took 3 science A-levels.

So does this mean people who have the more preferred a level subjects will have a lower offer? Should i email the uni and ask them directly? As i want to put down the uni as my insurance but i can't put unis down as my firm and insurance if they are asking for the same grades.
So does this mean people who have the more preferred a level subjects will have a lower offer? Should i email the uni and ask them directly? As i want to put down the uni as my insurance but i can't put unis down as my firm and insurance if they are asking for the same grades.

If the uni does this, they will explain it clearly on their website. However, if you're unsure at all, there's no reason not to contact the university directly. When the university makes you an offer, you will of course know the grades, so you can chose whether or not to use it as your insurance then.
It's supposed to be for people with extenuating circumstances or those who come from a disadvantaged background, although I got a low offer and neither applied for me.
Reply 11
Original post by Chlorophile
It's supposed to be for people with extenuating circumstances or those who come from a disadvantaged background, although I got a low offer and neither applied for me.

Where your predicted grades low?
Where your predicted grades low?

High!
Reply 13
Original post by Chlorophile
High!

Oh thats strange. Did you have to go to an interview? I heard some people say they can talk about offer grades at interviews and some might lower them.. although i don't know if that is 100% true.
Oh thats strange. Did you have to go to an interview? I heard some people say they can talk about offer grades at interviews and some might lower them.. although i don't know if that is 100% true.

No, although the website says they interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending