Why are The British so bad at customer service?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
datpiff
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
There is one thing that really pisses me off about living in this country... customer service. It is so bad.

The Americans are so much better at it than us. People criticise the 'have a nice day' and fake approach, but I much prefer than than a miserable ******** not even looking at me and looking at me like I'm **** on a shoe. The thing that really gets on my nerves is that nobody is willing to confront bad service. It's like when I say something everyone in the room who hears just looks shocked. Like I've brojen a huge taboo: criticising bad service.

Why is customer service so bad in this country?

Why don't a lot of companies realise that improving customer service cost little and helps them to achieve their bottom line.
Russia.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess you live in London. I live in a town and there's this **** that works at the tesco I go past, and I tell you m8, every customer she says 'how's your day been m'love' m8 I tell you
Abbie :)
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Customer service will probably improve when the customers themselves check their own attitude.
datpiff
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Abbie :))
Customer service will probably improve when the customers themselves check their own attitude.
Customer service will probably improve when the managers themselves figure out why the customers have a bad attitude.

Customer service is sooooooooo much better when you go abroad. It's like you went on another planet!
Abbie :)
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by datpiff)
Customer service will probably improve when the managers themselves figure out why the customers have a bad attitude.

Customer service is sooooooooo much better when you go abroad. It's like you went on another planet!
Well Britian is a fairly depressed country {Soverign State?}, and people are bitter.

Not going to lie, I can be a ***** as well - but tbh ive never experienced bad customer service
TroyAndAbed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I say "have a nice day" if I'm working on tills or whatever. If someone has a problem with it I don't care because they're probably some grumpy old sod who could do with a nice day.
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
Probably because the only reason most customers don't have a spit globule in the middle of their foreheads is because they happen to be spending money. Why would anyone make an effort with customer service when the customers are pricks and it's not like they get paid anything extra for it anyway?

You have to remember a lot of customer service representatives in shops are usually students or people working there temporarily. They don't care if they get fired. They have no motivation to make an effort.

Edit: Furthermore, you can't compare it to America. Most of those representatives are only nice because their wages rely almost exclusively on tips. That's not the case over here.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Erm, I've seen what kind of some customers are and to be honest, they are a bunch of 'world belly' kind. They think they are entitled to be treated like kings and queens whereas they treat shop staff like trash. Customers talk on their phones whilst being served by a cashier who greets them but gets nothing back, not even an eye contact because customer is more interested in some gossip on the phone; customers do not pick up stuff from the floor (it's not that hard to get your ass down and pick it up if you've dropped it) etc. There are good customers but majority are just spoilt little brats.

Customer service in the UK is much much better compared to my home country where you won't even get greeted in most cases in shops... And if you drop something in a store, you must pick it up, otherwise shop staff will start screaming at you for damaging the stock.
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I prefer British service to the fake american plastic service. All smiles on the outside and the desire to murder you on the inside. At least in Britain they're honest.

Atreus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you really think someone getting paid pennies is going to bend over backwards for rude ass entitled customers ?
camaieu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You think the Brits are bad, you should come to France. Anything other than table service is shocking.
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its because any sod gets the jobs. I see boring people and think me, a young happy energetic student, would do such a better job than them. It is frustrating

Posted from TSR Mobile
EleanorFrost
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm always very polite to customers but some really do make it difficult. In my last job, in a bar/restaurant/tea room type thing, I was clearing tables in the lounge area. An couple were sat behind me and shouted to get my attention because they wanted more tea. Did they say 'excuse me' politely? No, they shouted 'oi, girl!'. Talk about patronising and the thing is, people are like that all the time. Many customers are demanding and have this weird sense of entitlement to discounts etc. Obviously not all are like that, but I encounter rude customers more often than not.
TammieBean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I totally agree with this. I've had two jobs which involve me working on a till and thus having lots of contact with the customers. Even if I am having a bad day I am always friendly and polite to my customers; but some people are just out to have a go at you. If someone starts acting all aggressive towards me for no reason, then of course I am not going to be polite back to them - why should I? It's like because you're on the till and are young, and they're not, that they feel it's acceptable to be rude to you. It really winds me up.
Hachik0
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because by the time we have finished waiting in a queue we are to grumpy to be polite whereby having a negative impact on the people that are serving us.

You will find that those normally first to interact with those serving us are the ones that get best costumer service.
EleanorFrost
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TammieBean)
I totally agree with this. I've had two jobs which involve me working on a till and thus having lots of contact with the customers. Even if I am having a bad day I am always friendly and polite to my customers; but some people are just out to have a go at you. If someone starts acting all aggressive towards me for no reason, then of course I am not going to be polite back to them - why should I? It's like because you're on the till and are young, and they're not, that they feel it's acceptable to be rude to you. It really winds me up.
Exactly. The phrase that "the customer is always right" was thrown around a lot in my last job. I wasn't there for long at all because I didn't appreciate being insulted by customers and being told it's my job to take it!
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I worked in an expensive restaurant where a lot of emphasis was put on customer service. By customer service, I mean upselling. Good customer service means being able to empty out the wallet of the gullible customers by smiling at them and offering disingenuous compliments.
lucaf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably because tipping is a bigger thing in the states, and the fact we are too stoic to actually complain
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This. Customers can be ***** sometimes, and without provocation. Even when you bust your butt to be civil.
TammieBean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EleanorFrost)
Exactly. The phrase that "the customer is always right" was thrown around a lot in my last job. I wasn't there for long at all because I didn't appreciate being insulted by customers and being told it's my job to take it!
Same! But in my last job on the first day they were like "I know most companies say 'the customer is always right' but they're not". I mainly left that job because they were terrible employers, despite being a big company so you'd think they'd be good, but the customers also got me down.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (101)
61.21%
No (64)
38.79%

Watched Threads