Why does the level of CO2 in the air rise in summer and fall in winter?

Watch
dinglebells
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This is a question in my chemistry worksheet. I am stuck. I thought it would be the opposite because in winter there are less leaves so less photosynthesis occurs so less CO2 is removed from the atmosphere so it should rise in the winter. Any ideas?
Chicken Bacon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dinglebells)
This is a question in my chemistry worksheet. I am stuck. I thought it would be the opposite because in winter there are less leaves so less photosynthesis occurs so less CO2 is removed from the atmosphere so it should rise in the winter. Any ideas?
It doesn't. You are right, the question is false.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dinglebells)
It does. The only thing I can think of is that (if you were given a graph), the data might be from the southern hemisphere in which case CO2 would be at a minimum in their summer, i.e. our winter.

Also, CO2 peaks slightly earlier than our peak summer, normally peaking at around June-ish.
funkydee19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
more in the summer because more photosynthesis is taking place. because it is faster, more is taking place so more CO2 being emitted.
z4chary_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by funkydee19)
more in the summer because more photosynthesis is taking place. because it is faster, more is taking place so more CO2 being emitted.
Oxygen is emitted, CO2 is absorbed by the plant.
funkydee19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by z4chary_)
Oxygen is emitted, CO2 is absorbed by the plant.
correct. my bad haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads