The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get an A overall with these scores at AS?

Hello, Apologies if I'm in the wrong area, but I'm needing a little pro insight.
I took AS chemistry and physics last year and gained 212 UMS for chemistry and 216 for physics. I'm much more focused this year and determined to do better. The school I'm attending as external candidate don't allow me to do any resits this time, so what i have is what I have!!
Can anyone say whether it's still possible to grab those As if I continue swatting away like I currently am? I started revision in July during holidays!!
Reply 1
You got 2 B's, of course you can get A's haha. I done really badly and got 207 for chem which is 3 UMS off a B so obviously a C. However, I'm retaking Unit 2 chem and if I'm able to bank 87% in that, I can secure an A for AS and therefore continue working at an A standard throughout A2 to maintain that A. Obviously you don't have the chance of retakes so tbh I think you should discuss this with a teacher so s/he can give you the real percentages and knowledge you require. Well done for your B's though! Wish I had them -_-
Well considering I got a Low C in one subject and I'm predicted an A im sure you could do it
Don't feel too bad mine work out low Bs!! I saw that the chemistry was bang on 70% of the AS which means I think i need an overall 90% for a2 to get an A, which I'm fighting for!! The physics one works out a 72% of AS, which is meaning i need 88% overall in A2, this is why I'm working myself like crazy I so need As!!! Well done to us anyway though, A levels are NOT easy!! :smile:
Original post by Salwa_
You got 2 B's, of course you can get A's haha. I done really badly and got 207 for chem which is 3 UMS off a B so obviously a C. However, I'm retaking Unit 2 chem and if I'm able to bank 87% in that, I can secure an A for AS and therefore continue working at an A standard throughout A2 to maintain that A. Obviously you don't have the chance of retakes so tbh I think you should discuss this with a teacher so s/he can give you the real percentages and knowledge you require. Well done for your B's though! Wish I had them -_-
Original post by Hexaneandheels
Hello, Apologies if I'm in the wrong area, but I'm needing a little pro insight.
I took AS chemistry and physics last year and gained 212 UMS for chemistry and 216 for physics. I'm much more focused this year and determined to do better. The school I'm attending as external candidate don't allow me to do any resits this time, so what i have is what I have!!
Can anyone say whether it's still possible to grab those As if I continue swatting away like I currently am? I started revision in July during holidays!!

It is possible, but it won't be easy. You'll need 268 UMS (i.e. 89%) in Chemistry and 264 UMS (i.e. 88%) in Physics.
Reply 5
They really aren't!!! Esp with the loss of January exams this year, so many people failed to get the grades they deserve. I do have to admit chemistry is not my best subject however I was getting high B's, the occasional A throughout the year, never did I think I'd ever end up getting a C :'(
What course are you applying to for university?
I heard the government had ben behind a drive to make a levels tougher, well it certainly worked!! I'm applying to a Canadian university, University of Toronto! How about you? :smile:

Original post by Salwa_
They really aren't!!! Esp with the loss of January exams this year, so many people failed to get the grades they deserve. I do have to admit chemistry is not my best subject however I was getting high B's, the occasional A throughout the year, never did I think I'd ever end up getting a C :'(
What course are you applying to for university?
Reply 7
It did work! Omg, are you Canadian? I actually want to live there lmao. I'm applying to do pharmacy, praying I'll get some interviews from London based universities :smile:
No I just lived there for five years and have permanent residence$! I'm also also looking at two Swedish universities and it's Biomedicine I'm really interested in!! Good luck I hope your dreams come true!! :smile:
Original post by Salwa_
It did work! Omg, are you Canadian? I actually want to live there lmao. I'm applying to do pharmacy, praying I'll get some interviews from London based universities :smile:
Reply 9
Ohh okay, wow that sounds so nice. Hope you get into your chosen universities and have a successful career! Thank you, you too! :')

Quick Reply

Latest