amanda_rhona
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello

Just needing some help on an essay -
account for the extension of the franchise in the 1832 reform and its effects on politics.

This is my first uni essay and even though I've read the list of books given by the uni its like its a different language. I just need some starting points on why the franchise was extended and the effects.

Thanks
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by amanda_rhona)
Hello

Just needing some help on an essay -
account for the extension of the franchise in the 1832 reform and its effects on politics.

This is my first uni essay and even though I've read the list of books given by the uni its like its a different language. I just need some starting points on why the franchise was extended and the effects.

Thanks

Basically, you had conservative PM naturally extremely opposed to parliamentary reform. But within his party there were calls to grow the franchise so that the new wealthy upper middle classes could be involved/exploited depending how you look at it. This meant that when the Tory's lost power to the Whigs, the bill was passed on it's third run (Which is pretty good for such a huge change).

The property qualifications were crucial; it meant that the only people voting were financial anchors within the country. Shopkeepers were perhaps the biggest cultural entry. The boroughs were reduced and shuffled up with what has been considered now to be tactical gerrymandering, preparing the groundwork for future extensions.

First uni essay can be a mahoosive jump, definitely don't be afraid to go and sit with your tutor and ask. Part of the first essay is to work out who is going to go the extra mile and try with their work.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University