The Student Room Group

Switching from Medicine to Chemical Engineering

Hi

I am currently in S6 (last year at high school for you english lot). Initially, I was hoping to apply for medicine however the grades I got were not good enough for it - I got AAAAC.

I have done a lot of research into a new career choice and found chemical engineering to be great for me. I have done plenty of research into it and have even spoken to current chemical engineers in the oil and gas industry.

My main dilemma is, I have so much for medicine such as experience in a hospital and in a clinical atmosphere as well as volunteering at the YMCA for over 8 months in order to show I can work with a variety of people including children. I don't know how I can transfer skills I have gained from volunteering with kids to chemical engineering as I'm not likely to be working with kids in this career?

Also, I have zero experience at chemical engineering, does that in anyway give me a major disadvantage compared to others?
Original post by 99duffman99
Hi

I am currently in S6 (last year at high school for you english lot). Initially, I was hoping to apply for medicine however the grades I got were not good enough for it - I got AAAAC.

I have done a lot of research into a new career choice and found chemical engineering to be great for me. I have done plenty of research into it and have even spoken to current chemical engineers in the oil and gas industry.

My main dilemma is, I have so much for medicine such as experience in a hospital and in a clinical atmosphere as well as volunteering at the YMCA for over 8 months in order to show I can work with a variety of people including children. I don't know how I can transfer skills I have gained from volunteering with kids to chemical engineering as I'm not likely to be working with kids in this career?

Also, I have zero experience at chemical engineering, does that in anyway give me a major disadvantage compared to others?

As long as you have good enough grades you'll get into engineering.

What specifically is it about chemical engineering that takes your fancy? It's quite (vastly) different from medicine.
Reply 2
Hi I received BBCD in as and want to apply for chem eng, would it be unlikely for me to be considered with these as grades in most unis ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
hey same here !
im applying for a place in medicine and foundation year chemical engineering in sheffield

do you have any idea , what to put down a foundation year personal statement?
Reply 4
Original post by monafox
Hi I received BBCD in as and want to apply for chem eng, would it be unlikely for me to be considered with these as grades in most unis ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can apply for a foundation year course
ie newcastle , macnhester , loughborough and sheffield
Reply 5
Original post by Mallory

I thought I wouldn't be able to get onto a foundation course as I am doing both Maths and Chemistry at a level
Original post by Mallory

To do chem eng foundation at Loughborough you need AAA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Engineering is so undersubscribed that if you get the grades you'll get in no matter what you write in your PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi Duffman. I was in exactly the same situation as you last year! Planned to do medicine and dropped it right before my ukcat test and am now studying Chem eng!

You'll easily get in with those grades and, like you, I only clinical experience in a hospital and a gp surgery etc.

I related my experiences in the hospital to engineering through the processes and designs that you can see in different areas. However, for engineering in the first instance, they really only look at your grades and judging from yours, you'll have no issue at all getting in to a good Uni.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest