The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

1st year Cardiff C21 medic needs help!!! Medicine School University Advice

Hi,

I'm a first year medic and I am quite confused as to what depth we should be learning content delivered to us as I now realise (if I have realised correctly) a lot of our learning is self-directed. Thus I have a few queries regarding what exactly we have to know to pass year 1:

:s-smilie::s-smilie::frown::s-smilie::s-smilie:

1) is content covered in lectures the bare minimum, right amount or superfluous?
2) if I learn content covered in seminars well, will that be to a sufficient depth for me to pass? If not how much extra reading/note making should I be doing?
3) I have now acquired the learning outcomes for PCS - are they useful? should direct myself more towards them and learn content based on them more than lectures&seminars OR learn from lecture&seminars more than trying to cover every single learning outcome described even if it isn't covered by the lecturers?
4) any general helpful advice?

Thank you so much in advance. I have asked these questions to a few 2nd yr medics but I felt like they didn't answer my questions in the way I liked them too...I understand it may take a while to answer the questions but I think many other 1st year medics, not only in Cardiff, would benefit from your answer...thank you once again!
Reply 1
Original post by IlyChem
Hi,

I'm a first year medic and I am quite confused as to what depth we should be learning content delivered to us as I now realise (if I have realised correctly) a lot of our learning is self-directed. Thus I have a few queries regarding what exactly we have to know to pass year 1:

1) is content covered in lectures the bare minimum, right amount or superfluous?
2) if I learn content covered in seminars well, will that be to a sufficient depth for me to pass? If not how much extra reading/note making should I be doing?
3) I have now acquired the learning outcomes for PCS - are they useful? should direct myself more towards them and learn content based on them more than lectures&seminars OR learn from lecture&seminars more than trying to cover every single learning outcome described even if it isn't covered by the lecturers?

Thank you so much in advance. I have asked these questions to a few 2nd yr medics but I felt like they didn't answer my questions in the way I liked them too...I understand it may take a while to answer the questions but I think many other 1st year medics, not only in Cardiff, would benefit from your answer...thank you once again!

Hi, sorry I can't answer your question (I'm in year 13). :s-smilie:
I was wondering if you could answer mine: I have received two offers for medicine, one for a lecture-based course (Queen's) and one for Cardiff, which seems to be less lecture-based and more CBL. How are you finding the learning experience at Cardiff? If you could go back, would you have picked a more lecture-based course? Also, have you found the answers to your questions?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by IlyChem
Hi,

Sorry I can't help with this. It may help to post in the general medical forum, rather than for Cardiff University specifically.

All the best! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending