AS History - To what extent was the pre-reformation church in need of reform? - Luthe Watch

Caitlinnnmay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I need help will my essay; To what extent was the pre-reformation church in need of reform?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alex347_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In Need of Reform Argument

- Pluralism/Nepotism/Simony/absenteeism prevalent

- Indulgences and relics were being abused if one subscribes to the Lutheran view

- Corruption amongst the papacy- not living in accordance with scripture, monastic houses often less observant than hitherto

- German Humanism particularly from writers like Erasmus were becoming extremely popular and Humanists were increasing their criticisms of the Church- this sort of provides evidence that there was widespread revulsion at the Church's practices.

- Lay-confraternities seems to show that people had to take it upon themselves to access high levels of spirituality, since the Church was not providing it

However...

- Not all monastic houses were unobservant- very few were actually found to have committed serious doctrinal deviations (research this)

- It could be argued that the political, war- laden period where the Papal states were under pressure, required a tough monarch and not a devout, morally upright Papacy. So you could say the Pope's behaviours, or rather many of them were a burgeoning necessity- and not a symptom of a weakened, moribund Church

- For your final point saying why it wasn't, do some research on the huge amount of people still donating money, making bequests etc; if you find it as significant as before, it suggests that people's engagement with the Church was still high and that it was not a moribund institution.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed