alicehface
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm struggling to understand the information about the fluid mosaic model, and how they are used in studying cell membranes and osmosis?
aersh8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alicehface)
I'm struggling to understand the information about the fluid mosaic model, and how they are used in studying cell membranes and osmosis?
Fluid mosaic model: phospholipids can move past each other within 7nm confines, proteins move b/c phospholipids push them around, membrane can change shape and fuse (essentially fluid because moves, mosaic due to the pattern of proteins dispersed through the phospholipids).

Osmosis: Movement of free water molecules across a partially permeable membrane from a region of high water potential to a region of low water potential. Essentially since the membrane is "FLUID" the water molecules can kind of push their way through the phospholipids.

Hope this helps!
alicehface
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by aersh8)
Fluid mosaic model: phospholipids can move past each other within 7nm confines, proteins move b/c phospholipids push them around, membrane can change shape and fuse (essentially fluid because moves, mosaic due to the pattern of proteins dispersed through the phospholipids).

Osmosis: Movement of free water molecules across a partially permeable membrane from a region of high water potential to a region of low water potential. Essentially since the membrane is "FLUID" the water molecules can kind of push their way through the phospholipids.

Hope this helps!
That helps alot!! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads