The Student Room Group

Tories say Disabled people are not worth the min wage

Poll

Make disabled people work for £2 a hour

http://news.sky.com/story/1353507/lord-freud-accused-over-disabled-comments

Yet another attack on vulnerable people. Cameron actually got up in the house of parliament and denied everything. He even did some crocodile tears.

/Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you actually do anything with your life beyond complaining about the Tories?

Besides, it isn't the 'Tories', it is one Tory minister, and Cameron wasn't doing 'crocodile tears', he was getting angry that a bunch of rabid anti-conservatives use anything as an excuse to attack him, such as him 'not caring about the disabled' even though his 6 year old son tragically died after suffering with Cerebral Palsy. Shame on you.
Reply 2
Original post by Arkasia
such as him 'not caring about the disabled' even though his 6 year old son tragically died after suffering with Cerebral Palsy. Shame on you.

What's truly shameful is how his son is wheeled out yet again now that its useful.
Reply 3
What the minister in question said is clearly wrong, using that to try and damage the credibility of another person who had nothing to do with it is also wrong. Politics is just about trying to 1^
Reply 4
Original post by n00
What's truly shameful is how his son is wheeled out yet again now that its useful.

Wheeled out? I see, so when a family member dies, you must never mention them ever again, or else you are just 'wheeling them out'. It is this bitter, vitriolic nonsense that is poisoning politics in this country. The vast chasm between the politicians the public is increasing, and everyone is to blame.
Reply 5
Original post by Arkasia
Wheeled out? I see, so when a family member dies, you must never mention them ever again, or else you are just 'wheeling them out'.

Nar, course not, but in this context I think its pretty clear that's exactly whats being done.
Reply 6
Original post by n00
Nar, course not, but in this context I think its pretty clear that's exactly whats being done.

When you are being accused of not caring about or hating the disabled, I think it is a fair argument to make when you point to your own offspring as evidence that the claim is a pile of manure.
Reply 7
Original post by Arkasia
When you are being accused of not caring about or hating the disabled, I think it is a fair argument to make when you point to your own offspring as evidence that the claim is a pile of manure.

Why what does it prove?
Silly thing for Lord Freud to say.

This is the government which gave us the bedroom tax which hit disabled people particularly hard. Now he has allowed himself to be heard saying that some disabled people are not worth the minimum wage.
The minister was absolutely right. Someone who is disabled is obviously going to be worth less than the minimum wage, because they are not productive to the workforce.

Political correctness won't change that. Freud was in the right. The minimum wage shouldn't even exist.
Reply 10
The implications are pretty offensive, you have to wonder if some of these people think before they speak in public.
(edited 9 years ago)
What a d*ck

Says someone who doesnt ever have to worry about his wage.. Its heard enough for disabled people to get jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arkasia

No one is saying that he doesn't care about his disabled children, they're saying he doesn't care about everyone else's disabled children, which seems to be a perfectly fair analysis based on his parties record.
Original post by The Dictator
The minister was absolutely right. Someone who is disabled is obviously going to be worth less than the minimum wage, because they are not productive to the workforce.

Political correctness won't change that. Freud was in the right. The minimum wage shouldn't even exist.

This is a very illogical statement because if a disabled person would produce less work than able people then they wouldn't have the job in the first place.Disabilities do reduce the ability to work in certain circumstances(in a lot of circumstances they don't like physical illnesses don't really affect mental tasks eg.Stephen Hawking is a good example of how his physical disability didn't affect his ability to solve Physics problems) but if they are employed in a position then their disability must not impair their ability to work enough to not have been employed or sacked in the first place.You have to remember that we have millions of able people who can't find work and thus disabled workers must be more productive than them.

The minimum wage has to exist otherwise people would be forced to work for virtually no pay(you get JSA took off you if you don't look for work,go on as many training schemes/courses as they want etc so people would apply for jobs at £0.10 an hour and businessmen would laugh as people would be forced to apply or lose their JSA and thus also their housing benefit) and since they are working they would have most of their benefits took off them and thus simply wouldn't be able to life, if the minimum wage was removed we would see a lot of absolute poverty in the UK nevermind relative poverty.
Hahahaha one Tory says something that is a matter of his own personal opinion and suddenly it is a Tory party policy.

LOL spin-doctors and cyber-troopers must be paid real well to be in overdrive for such junk.
Original post by Arkasia
Wheeled out? I see, so when a family member dies, you must never mention them ever again, or else you are just 'wheeling them out'.

To repeatedly use the disability of a dead family member for political purposes is revolting opportunism, particularly when it's used to justify attacks on the safety net and protections of other disabled people. That is about as cynical as it comes.
It's "mean" but what exactly can disabled people contribute? :s-smilie: Let's put our feelings aside here. People are taking empathy and commiseration and tolerance to a whole nother level if they let it affect their reasoning.
Reply 17
I'd say it's a fairly safe assessment to make. I work with 1 or 2 disabled people and they do just seem to take forever to do things. One guy takes roughly 60-120 seconds to get from point A to point B when in reality an able bodied person could do that stretch in 4 seconds.

Another, she just stands at the printer trawling through documents reading every ****ing word on each print, when she knows what she's printed so why's it taking so long?
Could someone tell me why disabled people are not worth less than the minimum wage, please?
Original post by Dalek1099
This is a very illogical statement because if a disabled person would produce less work than able people then they wouldn't have the job in the first place.Disabilities do reduce the ability to work in certain circumstances(in a lot of circumstances they don't like physical illnesses don't really affect mental tasks eg.Stephen Hawking is a good example of how his physical disability didn't affect his ability to solve Physics problems) but if they are employed in a position then their disability must not impair their ability to work enough to not have been employed or sacked in the first place.You have to remember that we have millions of able people who can't find work and thus disabled workers must be more productive than them.

The minimum wage has to exist otherwise people would be forced to work for virtually no pay(you get JSA took off you if you don't look for work,go on as many training schemes/courses as they want etc so people would apply for jobs at £0.10 an hour and businessmen would laugh as people would be forced to apply or lose their JSA and thus also their housing benefit) and since they are working they would have most of their benefits took off them and thus simply wouldn't be able to life, if the minimum wage was removed we would see a lot of absolute poverty in the UK nevermind relative poverty.

It is so refreshing to see someone with red gems, especially someone with as many as you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending