Where should I study in Australia!? Law student Watch

FreyaNiChleirigh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys, so I'm studying law at Leeds Uni and looking to go abroad next year, hopefully to somewhere in Australia. I'm currently debating going to either Monash University (which is in Clayton I think like 30 mins from Melbourne city centre.. but I kind of wanted to live in a bustling city instead of a suburb.. does anyone know if I could live in Melbourne and travel to Clayton for lectures etc?), Deakin University (which I think is in Melbourne city centre?), QUT in Brisbane, or ANU in Canberra. I'm pretty much open to any suggestions of where I should apply, even one not mentioned above! I would love to be in a busy city and/or relatively near a beachy area but I'm guessing I can't really get both those things?! I'm also keen to immerse myself in the culture and have as many new experiences as possible eg surfing, traveling, just everything really! Would love to hear all your thoughts, especially from those who have studied or lived anywhere in Australia

Thanks so much in advance
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Melbourne isnt as big as London - think Birmingham and its about right. So being at a Uni in Clayton (its only a suburb not a separate town) and living across town is very do-able. The beaches are great, Melbourne is a beautiful city and you'll have a ball. Monash is 'better' than Deakin btw. Canberra - avoid. Its an artificial new town full of civil servants and has no sense of community whatsoever. And you'll get no sense of 'living in Australia' there. QUT - don't know it but it has a good reputation and Brisbane is another nice buzzy city.

I'd pick Monash : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5iN8ZPCyGo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgk67-xPKyA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6O_YNvu6EI
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Melbourne isnt as big as London - think Birmingham and its about right. So being at a Uni in Clayton (its only a suburb not a separate town) and living across town is very do-able. The beaches are great, Melbourne is a beautiful city and you'll have a ball. Monash is 'better' than Deakin btw. Canberra - avoid. Its an artificial new town full of civil servants and has no sense of community whatsoever. And you'll get no sense of 'living in Australia' there. QUT - don't know it but it has a good reputation and Brisbane is another nice buzzy city.
Ahem ...

a) Melbourne is four times the size of Birmingham

b) The general Canberra bashing is pretty stupid, especially by those Australians who have never even been there. Even for the rest it's usually the odd day trip in high school, and that's it. Most people have no clue about Canberra whatsoever and just judge it based on hearsay. It's large enough for most people, it's clean, spacious, loads of nature around (pretty much surrounded by national parks, nature reserves in the middle of the city), has a massive lake in the middle, is big on museums and the arts, there's always something going on (multicultural festivals, fireworks etc.). Clubbing opportunities are obviously not as numerous as in Melbourne or Sydney, but there are many bars, there are clubs and there are always parties going on in the residential colleges.

Canberra is a great place, has recently been rated the city with the highest quality of life in the world, it has the youngest, most liberal and best educated population of the large Australian cities and for 99% of students there is more than enough to do.

And for studying Law ANU is one of the best places in the world, ranked equal to Melbourne, plus added opportunities with the High Court, parliament etc. just at your doorstep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (17)
35.42%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (14)
29.17%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (9)
18.75%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (3)
6.25%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (5)
10.42%

Watched Threads