88%
No (3)
12%
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've been chatting to people recently about panic attacks and She-Ra noticed this earlier http://www.thesite.org/ which got me thinking about how many people might actually be suffering from panic attacks in silence.

Vote in the poll for whether you have ever had a panic attack or not and post any advice you might have on how to deal with them in this thread. The first time I had one I didn't even know what was going on so I think it is really useful to share your experiences with others and increase awareness of what the warning signs are of an oncoming attack, why they are triggered and how they can be dealt with!
McNuggetsAhoy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had panic attacks quite often while I was working and psychotic. I used to have to go home half-way through the day and work at home. I could always feel them coming on. It felt like a sickness rising up my body until it clutched hold of my stomach and chest and didn't let go. I ended up hyperventilating and not being able to cope with what was going on around me let alone concentrate on my work.

Nowadays I have different techniques for dealing with panic attacks. I've done a Mindfullness course which was very helpful and let me cope with the feeling of stress that I got when being in a room with a lot of people for extended periods of time. I also did CBT which helped me to ignore the feelings I get when in that situation.

I haven't had a panic attack now for over 9 months (crosses fingers) so I feel like these things have improved my situation somewhat. Hopefully things will slowly improve over time and I'll be less and less likely to have them.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. I suffered from panic disorder and agoraphobia for over a year and was housebound for 6 months because of them. Mine started out of the blue and were honestly the most horrible things I've experienced in life. I quit college because of them too. The first attack I ever got was during a biology class in college. I was just sitting there doing my work then boom, the room started spinning, I couldn't breathe, I got flushed and I ran to the toilet. The second I got out the door I felt fine. I then started to get them in every biology class then every other college class then on the way to college and then pretty much 24/7 no matter where I was or who I was with. I didn't tell my partner for months and he could tell something was up with me but didn't know what. It all came to a head when at xmas last year I broke down at my mum's because I was too scared to sit with everyone during dinner. I also refused to accept I had panic attacks because I couldn't believe something that felt so strong and dangerous could just be in my head.

I got over PD with the help of my mum and partner. I wasn't keen on taking medication for it and the waiting lists were too long for therapy and I wanted to make a change soon. It was hard but I got there in the end I still get panic attacks here and there but I can get rid of them almost instantly now and I'm no longer housebound or held back, in fact I'm barely in now and I'm at uni. My mum and gran both suffered from PD so I wasn't surprised I got it but I was surprised I developed it during a time in life when things were going good and I wasn't stressed or anything.

My tips are reading up about the biology part of panic attacks. I'm a biology student and that helped me. One of my fears was fainting during an attack but I know its physically impossible to as fainting is caused by low BP and you have everything but low BP during a panic attack! Also when you have an attack, don't try and fight it off, just accept it and let it do its worse. This for me was the hardest thing to learn. I knew it couldn't harm me but it was still weird trying not to fight it off. Fighting it off makes you more anxious and makes it last longer but if you just accept it, it gets bored and leaves. Also talk to someone whether its a friend, a doc etc. Talking really does help. A trip to your GP is good too. I refused medication as I wanted to beat it on my own and not have to rely on medication as I saw what my mum was like. She has tried to stop her anxiety meds many times and the panics she gets when she stops are terrible. I wanted to learn the techniques to bring myself out of an attack. Meds can be the answer for some people though so its worth talking to the doctor about any treatments available. I mainly went to the doc to rule out other conditions as things like undiagnosed diabetes can cause panic attacks but I got the all clear for everything.
Cinnie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes i'm on beta blockers to help with them.

I get a rapid heart rate, and get extremely hot and red, and start sweating. Then, if it elevates I feel like my head is going to explode, i'm going to piss/**** myself (It doesn't actually happen, but I feel THAT out of control of my body), and my chest physically contracts and I can't breathe properly.

Usually happens in situations I can't physically escape from, like a lecture room, and if any attention is put onto me or there is any danger of that happening.. I.e. having to make a contribution to a discussion
Anonymous #1
Report 6 years ago
Yes.

I'd be one of those having them in silence. I can't remember when they first began but I instantly knew they were panic attacks and was able to ignore them. That was about 6 years ago. Now I'm in therapy for depression and physical anxiety (no conscious mental component) and my CBT therapist thinks I've trained my brain to 'dissociate' itself during an attack. So now I have physical anxiety with zero idea why. That's as far as we've gotten.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (645)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.62%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads