The Student Room Group

Is there such a thing as thinking you're gay, when you're not?

This is stupid I know, but I keep asking myself if I'm gay or not?

I'm seriously attracted to women... that's for sure... I get a boner even if I'm only hugging her.

I've got a GF who I love a lot, and who I'm very attracted to.

I don't have any of these sort of things with guys though. Maybe once in a while I might think a certain celebrity is handsome... but that's only because I wish I was as handsome as them... not because I'm sexually attracted to them.

I feel straight, I act straight, but there's this constant thought that comes up that tells me "Maybe you're gay?" ... I've heard there's an illness, or a mind trick at least, that you constantly think you might be gay, when you're not - and I think I may fall into that category.

Has anyone else felt the same way?
Original post by Anonymous

I'm seriously attracted to women... that's for sure... I get a boner even if I'm only hugging her.

I don't have any of these sort of things with guys though. Maybe once in a while I might think a certain celebrity is handsome... but that's only because I wish I was as handsome as them... not because I'm sexually attracted to them.

I feel straight, I act straight, but there's this constant thought that comes up that tells me "Maybe you're gay?" ... I've heard there's an illness, or a mind trick at least, that you constantly think you might be gay, when you're not - and I think I may fall into that category.

Possible HOCD?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Very common teenage phenomenon, nothing to worry about.

You seem to misunderstand you actually are questioning whether you are straight or bisexual as you like girls so you are not gay and yes this is very common.The thing is that sexuality is more of a spectrum really with it being unlikely that you are 100% straight or homosexual so everyone is probably slightly bisexual.I have found the odd boy attractive but I'm generally attracted to girls so maybe I'm bisexual.
Reply 4
Nah we all get that, bro. Best to ignore it and keep focusing your attention on that sweet girlfriend of yours :P
Reply 5
Original post by midgemeister7

I think that's it really.

I've read a few of the Google threads about it and the symptoms resonate with what I'm suffering from.

One guy talks about how he'll openly flirt with women, get an erection, see a hot lass and turn his head to check her out, but then during short periods he'll get these really nasty images in his head ...

That's what I get really.
Reply 6
Original post by JamieMT92
Very common teenage phenomenon, nothing to worry about.

I am worrying about it because it leaves me depressed, anxious and shaken.

I know I'm physically and emotionally to women ... I see it every day. I check women out, I get the odd boner here and there what have you.

But then during shortish periods I'll have these frankly obscene thoughts ... and it leaves me distressed.
Reply 7
Original post by Gax
Nah we all get that, bro. Best to ignore it and keep focusing your attention on that sweet girlfriend of yours :P

Yeah, I certainly will..... that's a ****ing relief lol ... have you had these thoughts? How have you dealt with them?
Reply 8
Yeah, I certainly will..... that's a ****ing relief lol ... have you had these thoughts? How have you dealt with them?

Yea I've definitely had those thoughts. BUT, like you said in your original post, it was only because I wish I were as handsome as they are, nothing more :tongue:

As for dealing with it, I wouldn't worry because you seem pretty straight to me. All you can do is just carry on spending time with your girlfriend and hope to Gawd that your feelings don't change!
Reply 9
Original post by Gax
Yea I've definitely had those thoughts. BUT, like you said in your original post, it was only because I wish I were as handsome as they are, nothing more :tongue:

As for dealing with it, I wouldn't worry because you seem pretty straight to me. All you can do is just carry on spending time with your girlfriend and hope to Gawd that your feelings don't change!

Glad there's someone out there who has gone through the same ordeal.

I'm sure this distress will go after a while, it's just a right pain in the ass (no pun intended).

I love my Girlfriend, I want to be with her, feel her, get the hardest hard on with her, and if it does end between us, I'll go bone the next girl ...
You sound confused, perhaps it's just a phase. Don't worry these things are normal. How old are you? Do you get a Boner for guys too? Could just be hormones or maybe check out the Kinsey scale theory. It explains it like 80% heterosexual and 20% homosexual and so on. Maybe that will help. Just remember there's nothing wrong with bisexuality or bicurousity or being straight or gay. Just enjoy life and don't worry! :smile:
Sexuality is not black and white, for many people it can be fluid and change over time, some people are mostly straight or mostly gay but have thoughts the other way from time to time, of course some people are bisexual. Some people just get confused for a while. Some people have sexual attraction, but not emotional attraction to certain people and vice versa. There are a lot of possibilities, so in short, yes its entirely possible and normal to think you might be gay when you're not.

Having gay thougths or inclinations does not necessarily mean you are gay, but it also might mean you are gay, bisexual, fluid,or somewhere in between. You are the only person who can identify this, and you're the only person who has the right to give it a label if you choose to do this
I love my Girlfriend, I want to be with her, feel her, get the hardest hard on with her, and if it does end between us, I'll go bone the next girl ...

We get it. You're soooo into girls. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending