Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    The ironic issue is the fact that the counry starting a war is damaged the most, financially, emotionally and from any other aspect..
    well i guess in 10 years when oil prices are rising rapidly as a result of the lack of discovery at new reserves then the USA will be happy about some of there recent conflicts if they can kill everyone who is trying to shoot at them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    well i guess in 10 years when oil prices are rising rapidly as a result of the lack of discovery at new reserves then the USA will be happy about some of there recent conflicts if they can kill everyone who is trying to shoot at them
    As oil prices rise it becomes economically viable to explore for more reserves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    As oil prices rise it becomes economically viable to explore for more reserves.
    reserves are finite tho

ReputationRep:
    reserves are finite tho
    Everything is finite. The point is, how finite? We simply don't know. BP does not explore for oil when the price of crude is $20/barrel as it costs more to explore for it, pump it out of the ground, and process it than it can be sold for.

ReputationRep:
    America has it's own oil, but the wells are capped because it's not as cheap as imports. If imports died down, America wouldn't have as many fuel problems as are immediately apparentl.

ReputationRep:
    Everything is finite. The point is, how finite? We simply don't know. BP does not explore for oil when the price of crude is $20/barrel as it costs more to explore for it, pump it out of the ground, and process it than it can be sold for.
    well considering ESSO recently had to admit to having less than they said they and the fact that altho there is more oil out there alot of it is in places that are extremely hard to reach i think its hardly suprising that america want to get a foot hold in some places where there are large reserves of cheap easily accessible oil

ReputationRep:
    well considering ESSO recently had to admit to having less than they said they and the fact that altho there is more oil out there alot of it is in places that are extremely hard to reach i think its hardly suprising that america want to get a foot hold in some places where there are large reserves of cheap easily accessible oil
    ESSO have less since OPEC recently cut production by a billion barrels a week.

ReputationRep:
    ESSO have less since OPEC recently cut production by a billion barrels a week.
    this was cos there directors were lying not because of OPEC

ReputationRep:
    this was cos there directors were lying not because of OPEC
    Let's not drift away from the economics of oil exploration onto whether Esso Directors are trustworthy or not. I'm sure they're not. But that doesn't mean there's no more oil in the ground.

ReputationRep:
    Let's not drift away from the economics of oil exploration onto whether Esso Directors are trustworthy or not. I'm sure they're not. But that doesn't mean there's no more oil in the ground.
    On the issue of oil, here are my general views, in the next century it is going to becoming increasingly important for obvious reasons, the fact it is needed for so much stuff eg paints, plastics as well as fuel that everyone knows about. I think there is still quite abit left from what i have read. And i am certainly that we will find more due to 2 reasons
    1)as you howard has already said increased prices makes more know sites viable economically
    2)increased technology will reduce the cost of extracting oil and be able to draw more from wells (ie more effeicient)
    However the New Scientist said something that caught my attention near the start of the year, that we are soon to pass the mark were consumption a year will surpass oil being discovered a year. They said roughtly within 10 years based on conservative estimates i think.

Given that fact I think that countries like the US realise how important these resources are and in a similar way to the way that the spice trade led to english influence in india and other countires the US is becoming more involved with countries with oil like iraq and afghaistan. (altho i am not suggesting for one moment these are the only reasons they did get involved)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    No
    We would all be screwed - nuclear holocaust
    Never if the leaders are sensible and no rogue nations get nukes
    Some rogue state nukes America
    No
    No because there's f all I can do about it
    Lol
    Rogue states already have nukes, for example america
    America is the largest rogue state, whose military dominance enforces their ideals on other nations, beginning with those it perceives to be widest from its views (and who it can provide an excuse for attacking - reason why iraq was attacked rather than N Korea who are geographically and millitarily a much greater threat)

Surely removing dictatorships from many countries around the world, is enforcing a policy of no national dictatorships - which, as it is implemented by the US (and not to forget oh-so important Tony, with his head firmly lodged in Bush's ass) using their global monopoly, is effectively a globalised dictatorship.

I agree with the view WW3 will be an Islamic block vs the West (with China's position key to proceedings)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madman500)
    Lol
    Rogue states already have nukes, for example america
    America is the largest rogue state, whose military dominance enforces their ideals on other nations, beginning with those it perceives to be widest from its views (and who it can provide an excuse for attacking - reason why iraq was attacked rather than N Korea who are geographically and millitarily a much greater threat)

Surely removing dictatorships from many countries around the world, is enforcing a policy of no national dictatorships - which, as it is implemented by the US (and not to forget oh-so important Tony, with his head firmly lodged in Bush's ass) using their global monopoly, is effectively a globalised dictatorship.

I agree with the view WW3 will be an Islamic block vs the West (with China's position key to proceedings)
    Please use some evidence firstly if you make any comments as a general debating point and secoundly could anyone explain to me why the islamic countries like UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait would want to declear war on america when they have spent most of the money they get from oil revenues on american stock and property?

ReputationRep:
    possible (in my mind) events for a 3rd world war....
    • north korea doing something stupid like attacking the south korean and american forces on its border. there is around 2 million troops facing one another.... however i think this may be a localised (but still bloody) war
    • middle eastern countries fighting over water supplies and larger states getting involved in an attempt to stabilise the region (in which its dependant for oil among other things)
    • america getting involved against the chinese if the chinese attempted to take taiwan back by force.
    • oh and also india vs pakistan, could cause the whole region to go up in flames

ReputationRep:
    I can't see Kuwait going against America. If Britain were on their side, wouldn't this be rather odd for Kuwait to go against us like this? Considering we have relations with each other.

What about Hong Kong with China? I wondered what happened if Britain were sneaky and granted them independence and got the UN to recognise them as an independent nation, then presumably China could not take them back? j/w

Ooh and what about Cyprus with the Greek and Turkish parts?

I hope if there is another world war, that Europe tries to have minimal effects, unless it's wise to do so. We're trying to recover from so many of them in the last century let alone future ones. Besides, then may be America will become like Holland after the Second World War and there will be a new superpower lol.....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.