The Student Room Group

Camp America Summer 2015

I've applied for Camp America this year, specifically for the CamPower programme.

I've been looking around for some tips on the application process, and what the overall process is like, but most of the stuff I've found is for counsellors.

So has anyone done the CamPower programme in the past and have any advice? What is the interview process like? How early after interviews do people start getting placed as well? Is it all likely to start picking up after Christmas?

thanks guys!
Original post by Nico253
I've applied for Camp America this year, specifically for the CamPower programme.

I've been looking around for some tips on the application process, and what the overall process is like, but most of the stuff I've found is for counsellors.

So has anyone done the CamPower programme in the past and have any advice? What is the interview process like? How early after interviews do people start getting placed as well? Is it all likely to start picking up after Christmas?

thanks guys!

Hi Nico!

First of all, thanks for applying with us! It's an amazing experience and one you'll never forget!

The Campower scheme is a little different to counsellor, as you may already know. You'll have no direct responsibility for the kids. You'll also have more set hours, rather than being involved in 24 hour care. Campower is looking after the camp rather the kids, so you could be doing things such as groundskeeping and maintenance, laundry, kitchen work, even working in the camp office.

The interview process is the same as it would be if you doing the counsellor programme. It's nice and informal, usually in a coffee shop or a mutual meeting place. The interviewer just wants to get to know you and make sure you're appropriate for camp.

As for time being placed after interview, you could be placed from any time that you've been set to Ready To Place. Once your interviewer has written your interview report, which could take a week or 2 or even sooner, you could be placed from as little as a week to as long as a few months. There's no set time of how long it takes to get placed. So it's just a bit of a waiting game.

If you haven't done so already, contact a local interviewer to try and set up that interview so you can get it done ASAP and be closer to getting placed.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions then just ask away!
Reply 2
Original post by CampAmerica1969
Hi Nico!

First of all, thanks for applying with us! It's an amazing experience and one you'll never forget!

The Campower scheme is a little different to counsellor, as you may already know. You'll have no direct responsibility for the kids. You'll also have more set hours, rather than being involved in 24 hour care. Campower is looking after the camp rather the kids, so you could be doing things such as groundskeeping and maintenance, laundry, kitchen work, even working in the camp office.

The interview process is the same as it would be if you doing the counsellor programme. It's nice and informal, usually in a coffee shop or a mutual meeting place. The interviewer just wants to get to know you and make sure you're appropriate for camp.

As for time being placed after interview, you could be placed from any time that you've been set to Ready To Place. Once your interviewer has written your interview report, which could take a week or 2 or even sooner, you could be placed from as little as a week to as long as a few months. There's no set time of how long it takes to get placed. So it's just a bit of a waiting game.

If you haven't done so already, contact a local interviewer to try and set up that interview so you can get it done ASAP and be closer to getting placed.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions then just ask away!

I do have one other question... I passed my CA interview yesterday, and I've just paid for my police check.

From looking online, I believe the police check could take 6 weeks to come back.

Will my application go to RTP before my police check has come back, as long as it has been submitted and paid for? Or am I likely to be waiting 6 weeks before my application goes live?

Thanks!

Quick Reply