The Student Room Group

Is there such a thing a romantic love?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mrkl
Don't fully understand; if they were never meant to be then the chances of staying together are low.

What about all the people who stay married ? Many of them are still together because they're still in love, the presence of love or whatever label you put on it enhances marriage success. Without this, the marriage would be as you say " work ", a chore, a bit of labour.

This not a business contract, a marriage / relationship based on this lacks true feelings , soon it will become labourious, boring, empty and pointless - iow no reason to be together other some unworkable notion of "working on it ". Result separation - it's inevitable.

The existence of romantic love must be experienced to be proved - like eating ice cream, you don't know what it tastes like if you never experienced it.

So this leads to next point which is that
you can only find RL if you're interested in it, like you would only try icecream if you want to try it, no one can force you.

So why not go for an arranged marriage ? If you find him attractive and you're willing to ' work ' at it then by your criteria why not ?

That's assuming our paths have been paved for else, surely we have free will, right? with it comes the ability to change your mind.

Marriage is a legal document. That's why your attracted to the person, your feelings come from your desire for them making it's a more pleasurable and enjoyable experiences, otherwise it is like work.

Your not interested in things that are not beneficial to you. Being with someone can better your life.

That arranged marriage idea isn't as far fetched as you make it sound.

It's like being fixed up by your friends.

This idea that your soulmate, your special someone is waiting is a farce.
Reply 41
Original post by NHM713
That's assuming our paths have been paved for else, surely we have free will, right? with it comes the ability to change your mind.

Marriage is a legal document. That's why your attracted to the person, your feelings come from your desire for them making it's a more pleasurable and enjoyable experiences, otherwise it is like work.

That's what I said - so what ?

Original post by NHM713

Your not interested in things that are not beneficial to you. Being with someone can better your life.

That arranged marriage idea isn't as far fetched as you make it sound.

Stating the obvious. Never said arranged marriage was bad, but I knew you would imply I did.

Asked you why don't you try one since you don't believe in soulmates.

Original post by NHM713

This idea that your soulmate, your special someone is waiting is a farce.

NO. It is not, I am living testament of that.

But Like I told you :

The existence of romantic love must be experienced to be proved - like eating ice cream, you don't know what it tastes like if you never experienced it.

You can only find RL if you're interested in it, like you would only try icecream if you want to try it, no one can force you.
Reply 42
I'd like to think so...yes.
Reply 43
Original post by Foo.mp3
Something like that, although I'm not big into compromise, and don't surrender my freedom at all easily.. so she really has to be something special :daydreaming:

Believe it , she's out there.
I believe romantic love does exist,ive experienced it once and am now experiencing it with someone else. It's so so different from infatuation which wears off pretty fast
Reply 45
Original post by mrkl
That's what I said - so what ?

Stating the obvious. Never said arranged marriage was bad, but I knew you would imply I did.

Asked you why don't you try one since you don't believe in soulmates.

NO. It is not, I am living testament of that.

But Like I told you :

You can only find RL if you're interested in it, like you would only try icecream if you want to try it, no one can force you.

I'm just saying it's not that crazy to be fixed up with someone, if they fit what your looking for.

As for the arranged marriage thing, I don't see how being interested in something makes you experience it. I'm not particularly interested in shedding my uterine lining every month (sorry about the image) but I can't help experience that every month.

Some thing are organic and some thing are manufactured.
Reply 46
I'm not saying that no one can experience feeling of what we know as romantic love, i'm just saying don't be chase this idea of what it is, based on what you have seen in movies and fairytales, it may leave you unhappy chasing this something that doesn't really exist.
I've always been a romantic lover. I'm only 17 but every time I fall for a girl, I fall hard.
Reply 48
Original post by NHM713
I'm just saying it's not that crazy to be fixed up with someone, if they fit what your looking for.

There you go again - stating the obvious

Original post by NHM713

As for the arranged marriage thing, I don't see how being interested in something makes you experience it. I'm not particularly interested in shedding my uterine lining every month (sorry about the image) but I can't help experience that every month.

Some thing are organic and some thing are manufactured.

I already dealt with this - stop repeating topics :confused:
Reply 49
Original post by mrkl
There you go again - stating the obvious

I already dealt with this - stop repeating topics :confused:

Well your basically saying, think it and it will has and what i'm saying is, Open your eyes, life ISN'T as black and white as you think.
Reply 50
Original post by NHM713
Well your basically saying, think it and it will has and what i'm saying is, Open your eyes, life ISN'T as black and white as you think.

No I am not.

Read it :

You can only find RL if you're interested in it.

Like you would only try icecream if you want to try it, no one can force you.

Either you are pretty dim or you are not reading properly
Reply 51
Original post by mrkl
No I am not.

Read it :

You can only find RL if you're interested in it.

Like you would only try icecream if you want to try it, no one can force you.

Either you are pretty dim or you are not reading properly

Look I can't help that I don't quite get your analogy, there are lots of things I don't/didn't want to experience which I have i.e. tooth extraction. hitting my little toe against the wall.

Just because you want to feel something doesn't mean it's true. I could start believing in loch ness monster, does it make it real then?

Putting the subject mater into consideration, your being decidedly more aggressive. I am merely stating my opinion.

chill out hun.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by NHM713
Look I can't help that I don't quite get your analogy, there are lots of things I don't/didn't want to experience which I have i.e. tooth extraction. hitting my little toe against the wall.

Just because you want to feel something doesn't mean it's true. I could start believing in loch ness monster, does it make it real then?

Putting the subject mater into consideration, your being decidedly more aggressive. I am merely stating my opinion.

chill out hun.

Nonsense, in what way exactly is ice cream " aggressive " ? LOL

How does anyone equate ice cream with tooth extraction ? Total BS, only someone with a truly perverse attitude could do that.

You just don't like it because what I said exposes your silly world view and you resent that so you try your last card - false accusations .
Reply 53
Original post by mrkl
Nonsense, in what way exactly is ice cream " aggressive " ? LOL

How does anyone equate ice cream with tooth extraction ? Total BS, only someone with a truly perverse attitude could do that.

You just don't like it because what I said exposes your silly world view and you resent that so you try your last card - false accusations .

Sorry but i'm only dealing with the topic and hand, nothing more. You don't come on to this forum, pick a topic and ridicule it. Get some perspective. Learn how to argue.

Speaking of false accusations, the fact that your implying that I have a perverse attitude (how you came to that conclusion beats me) clearly shows that you are not serious.

You haven't exposed me in any way, shape or form. you can't just use some random ice cream analogy and think you have debunked my question. It doesn't quite work like that, I'm afraid.

I'm here for serious debate.
Reply 54
Original post by NHM713
Sorry

I'm here for serious debate.

NOt as sorry as I am. From discussion so far, I can't see you having a serious - meaningful debate even if your life depended on it .
Reply 55
Original post by mrkl
NOt as sorry as I am. From discussion so far, I can't see you having a serious - meaningful debate even if your life depended on it .

Ah, there you go again interpreting your own version of my messages. No doubt it doesn't only apply to the TSR forum.

You can't crop and paste whatever I say to fit your argument.
Reply 56
nope no such thing. it doesnt exist.
Yes, romantic love does exist :smile: It's just difficult to fathom until you've experienced it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
If it's real then it doesn't last forever, or it gets replaced with something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending