purplesnack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm looking to study Veterinary in either Glasgow or Edinburgh. I want to apply for both but don't know an awful lot about either city (I'm an Irish applicant so if I'm going to be living overseas for 5 years I want it to be in an amazing city). I haven't had the opportunity to go to any of the open days between exams and lack of funds. So if there are any natives of the cities could you please help by telling me the pros and cons of both, I would be eternally grateful
mollyvet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not native to either city but have been to both unis so might be able to help?

Glasgow: PANEL INTERVIEW
PRO: much more friendly atmosphere around the vet school, beautiful green campus, newer facilities, friendly city with some gorgeous architecture, seems to be good nightlife, practical-based course.
CON: Equine/large units smaller and not so well-developed, accomodation is a little grotty, fair amount of theft on campus, industrialised city and the area around the vet school (Bearsden) is very expensive, higher grades required.

Edinburgh: MMI
PRO: Gorgeous city, amazing equine/large unit, good student accomodation, "city of literature", close to the sea and the hills, Edinburgh Festival, lower grades required.
CON: VERY EXPENSIVE to live in a nice area (eg. Morningside, Tollcross), vet teaching hospital not so new, formal atmosphere and teaching, long way from the vet campus to accomodation and to sports/nightlife facilities.

After visiting both I decided to apply to Glasgow, because it was just far friendlier! We went into the city centre afterwards for dinner and the arcitechture was absolutely gorgeous, we had a brilliant and really cheap meal and the atmosphere was that of a varied and diverse area. Obviously it will have it's grotty parts too (and it has a reputation for being so, which is why not many English students apply there) but I immediately loved it, whereas I felt the atmosphere at Edinburgh was too formal for me (and a little elitist, as well), plus it was a really long walk from the city centre to the main uni campus and then a half-hour bus ride from the main campus to the vet school, and I don't fancy travelling that far when, with Glasgow, the vet school will be right on your doorstep in first year.

Obviously, that's my opinion, but I'd get other viewpoints before making a choice!
Tarnia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was at Edinburgh, but I have always heard the student life eg concerts etc. is better in Glasgow. I definitely agree Edinburgh can be expensive. Not as expensive as London, but definitely not cheap. I actually find the main city very walkable (I can walk from city centre/High Street/Princes Street area to main campus in 15-20min, main campus to 'southern' end of the main city eg Pollock halls area in another 15-20 and I am not super speedy) but the vet school is 25-30min DRIVE outside the city, and there isn't a well-maintained safe bike path. Edinburgh I've always been told is much safer than Glasgow; I never had any safety issues at Edinburgh but spent very little time in Glasgow so can't really comment there.

However, the teaching facility was only opened a few years ago (3 years if I remember right), and the vet hospital is also relatively new, so not sure I agree with the above poster on that, though of course entitled to own opinion.

Both cities are very accessible to each other so you can definitely enjoy both, whichever you choose!
Tarnia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh I should at Edinburgh has a teaching facility for exotics and an exotics wing/clinic in the teaching hospital, and we get a semester of exotics-only course material. Glasgow as I understand it gets less hands-on stuff, being limited to (last I heard) 1-2 DAYS with a local practitioner, unless extra is sought through EMS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (202)
18.72%
Labour (557)
51.62%
Liberal Democrats (145)
13.44%
Green Party (60)
5.56%
Brexit Party (15)
1.39%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.58%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.46%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)