The Student Room Group

Open Relationships

Does anyone on here have one?

If so, what do you to make it work?

Do both you and your parter play out?

Do you participate or observe?

Feel free to answer the above questions, below, or just mention your opinions on them.

Scroll to see replies

In an open relationship.

Not quite sure on anything specific we do to make it work, just be honest with each other I guess,

Both of us have a shared partner currently, in the past we have each had separate partners.

I have had a partner in the past who is completely separate, but as above, we currently have a shared partner which is primarily mine, but my partner participates most of the time
Original post by Anonymous
In an open relationship.

Not quite sure on anything specific we do to make it work, just be honest with each other I guess,

Both of us have a shared partner currently, in the past we have each had separate partners.

I have had a partner in the past who is completely separate, but as above, we currently have a shared partner which is primarily mine, but my partner participates most of the time

I think honesty is pretty important.

What made you start having OR as opposed to the more usual monogamous type?
Original post by keromedic
I think honesty is pretty important.

What made you start having OR as opposed to the more usual monogamous type?

Honesty is key to any relationship, but open ones especially so.

She is opposed to monogamous relationships, and I wasn't against open relationships, so decided to try it out, and it turned out that it worked.
Honesty is key to any relationship, but open ones especially so.

She is opposed to monogamous relationships, and I wasn't against open relationships, so decided to try it out, and it turned out that it worked.

Are you male?
Are you male?

I am :yep:
I am :yep:

But bisexual?

I've just noticed that ORs are very common in the LGBT community. Probably as we go against the grain anyway.
What is a open relationship anyway?
But bisexual?

I've just noticed that ORs are very common in the LGBT community. Probably as we go against the grain anyway.

Yep.

I haven't noticed that myself, but I guess LGBT people are more open to new ideas possibly?

Original post by inachigeek21
What is a open relationship anyway?

An open relationship is a relationship which is not exclusive, i.e. where one or both partners has more than one partner, either for sex, or a full relationship.
Yep.

I haven't noticed that myself, but I guess LGBT people are more open to new ideas possibly?

An open relationship is a relationship which is not exclusive, i.e. where one or both partners has more than one partner, either for sex, or a full relationship.

Tbf, I only know bisexuals, lesbians and other gays.

Can't comment on the trans community.
Reply 10
I am not in one but cheaters should really consider one
Original post by Meduza
I am not in one but cheaters should really consider one

If one partner wants a MR and the other a OR, it won't automatically work. There will probably be an imbalance. One partner may feel resentful and hurt while the other is oblivious to the pain his/her extra relationship affairs causes.
(edited 9 years ago)

Feel free to answer the above questions, below, or just mention your opinions on them.

1)yes
2) ALOT of communication
3) we play separately and together and we are into bdsm
4) depending on the scenario I do both. I am a big voyeur though.

Takes along time to develop that kind of trust.
Ps I'm a woman.

No. I believe the only men willing to share 'their woman' are submissive types or are in a relationship where the two parties no longer love each other.
Original post by Rakas21
No. I believe the only men willing to share 'their woman' are submissive types or are in a relationship where the two parties no longer love each other.

Pah. Ridiculous
Pah. Ridiculous

Why would you want your partner to have sex with somebody else?
Original post by Rakas21
Why would you want your partner to have sex with somebody else?

Because sex is fun. It doesn't have to mean anything other than pleasure for that couple hours.
Because sex is fun. It doesn't have to mean anything other than pleasure for that couple hours.

I agree but presumably most people are in a relationship because they want a future with said person. Personally i view allowing somebody you love to have sex with another person as weakness. The only way i could justify it was if i valued her pleasure above my own in which case i'd be submissive.

If i'd dump somebody for cheating, i'm not going to let them go around and thank them for telling me.

Finally as much i may be attracted to other women, to act on that impulse would to be disloyal. Disloyalty is a trait of inferior men.
Original post by Rakas21
I agree but presumably most people are in a relationship because they want a future with said person. Personally i view allowing somebody you love to have sex with another person as weakness. The only way i could justify it was if i valued her pleasure above my own in which case i'd be submissive.

If i'd dump somebody for cheating, i'm not going to let them go around and thank them for telling me.

Finally as much i may be attracted to other women, to act on that impulse would to be disloyal. Disloyalty is a trait of inferior men.

I'm assuming you're young. Perhaps when you get older you'll realise life isn't what it seems. Me and my Parner are soul mates we love each other 100%. However sex is fun, we like having sex with each other, other people, 3 somes also. Having sex does not make any one weak it's shows a level of trust that most relationships do not have.

And I DO value my partners pleasure above my own, and he values mine above his Own. It's part of being a partnership, you put the other person before yourself always.

Also my partners loyalty is to me and me only, sex isn't disloyal it's just an act that allows him to have fun, and me to have fun, they are in no way an extension of our relationship. We are a unit, a steel partnership, who just really like orgasms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending