The Student Room Group

North West Thames Question

Hi Everyone. I have just completed my FPAS, putting NW Thames as my first choice.

Having submitted it though, I am slightly concerned that I won't be able to afford to live there! I was wondering if there are any current junior doctors who could reassure me that the salary is sufficient to survive.

I know I won't be saving much/anything during my 2 years, but as a single guy happy to flat share, I should be able to survive on my roughly £25000 salary after banding, shouldn't I?????
Without wanting to sound patronising (I hate being patronised myself), I'd say you should cross that bridge when you have to dude - it's a bit premature to be thinking about this IMO, especially since you have already sent in the form and can't make changes now. :smile:

I'm not from that part of London so have no idea about living costs (anecdotally, people I know at Imperial/working in NW Thames live in Hammersmith/Shepherds Bush and seem fine financially). Worst case scenario, which really shouldn't happen: live in zone 4/5/6 (which as you probably know is cheaper than central London), choose to work in the less central hospitals and commute in from there. If you want to save on TfL travel costs, cycle in.

But like I said before, I honestly wouldn't think too much about that yet until we sit the SJT and find out where we actually are! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
You will be earning more than £25K, almost certainly.

I lived in South London so probably a bit cheaper, and was living with my boyfriend (now husband) so split bills, and we have been very comfortable. I imagine it would be quite tough to live alone in anything other than a shoebox (or far out) in NW, but sharing should be perfectly doable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending