I would like to become an electrical design engineer, I'm learning at home.

Watch
NullDrone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I've made up my mind now, I think I stand the best chance in finding a job in electrical design engineering, I had a plan to get a career in the industry, I can get experience with AutoCAD and Catia at home, if I go to a company and say I have about a year experience using AutoCAD and Catia, then I'm in a better position than those who has never used it before.

Looking at the job adverts on indeed they want someone with experience using AutoCAD and sometimes Catia, I have AutoCAD at home, I'm struggling to setup catia because you have to configure the network (Or can I run it just as a local installation? I need advice.)

I have a HNC in Electrical Technology (basically electrical engineering not sure why they used the word technology), I have experience using ISIS and ARES so again that helps.

Do you think I'd get the job from telling them I've been learning how to use AutoCAD and Catia at home or am I going to have to tell them I used to work for a company? Is it a must that you have experience working for someone else, I may know how to design but there may be other aspects of the job that I don't know, but like I said, I won't actually get the job from telling them I have no experience, I'll be stuck years down the line so I might as well say i do have experience.

Oh and another thing, I'm looking online at AutoCAD software, on the job description they said they want someone with AutoCAD experience, but is this original AutoCAD or is it AutoCAD electrical, I've seen that you can download the Electrical Version, surely that's more relevant because normal AutoCAD probably only allows you to build random things rather than electrical equipment. Does the same apply to Catia? I've downloaded Catia V6, it was very expensive...
NullDrone
Rep:
?
(Original post by arson_fire)
Do you have any knowledge of the wiring regs, or building regs? Could be worth looking at if your going for anything using mains voltage (buildings, UPS etc)

PSpice or Amtech might be more useful than Catia.

Don`t BS an employer about working for someone - you will get found out PDQ.
On the job adverts I'm looking at, they want someone who usually has experience with Catia or AutoCAD, I haven't seen anything about Amtech or PSpice.

I do have knowledge of the wiring and building regs, I have done qualifications as an electrician - 2330 level 2 and 3 Electrotechnical Technology.

I was just wondering, if you were to make up you had worked for a company that had gone bust, would they be able to check it? Would they even bother to check if they went bust?
NullDrone
Rep:
?
(Original post by arson_fire)
Possibly. Just because the company has gone bust doesnt` mean they cant speak to one of the managers or directors who used to work there. When you tell your employer that the old company went bust (and can`t supply a reference) how would you answer the question "That`s OK. Just give us the name of your old manager and we`ll give then a call at their new company"?

The problem is that you will get caught out when you have no experience - it WILL show!
It depends though because if there are other aspects of the job that I'm not used to then I'm going to struggle in that, but what else do I have to learn? If I can design things well then I don't see what else I would struggle on? Do you know other aspects of the job I would struggle with? It may show but then I'd just have to learn at home. And anyway, it's better that I take the risk lying to them and them finding out eventually than being stuck in the same position for the next 10 years. At the moment I've told them I have experience with AutoCAD and Catia, I told the guy on the phone that I have installed it all at home so I do know how to use it.

Oh and if I supply them with the managers phone number, I could write on the CV a number with a mistake made, instead of using 086345323 I could write 086345223, then they'll try to call the number but won't be able to get through.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (83)
26.18%
England (108)
34.07%
Belgium (27)
8.52%
Germany (38)
11.99%
Spain (5)
1.58%