Edexcel Biology 6 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Just had Edexcel Human Biology 6 - anyone else? Thought some of the questions were a bit confusing, but overall it seemed OK. Feedback anyone?
smartieiow
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Yeah it was ok.....i thought that the essay questions weren't too bad. But some of the others were a bit strange......what did people write for the glucose questions?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I think I put that Glucose might stimulate the Satiety centre, ten for the next question I put that Insulin is linked to Glucose levels, so it could also act on the centre. Which essay Q. did you do?
smartieiow
Report 16 years ago
I did the mitochondria one. Im so dumb, I put insulin, then glucagon. Thinking that an increase in glucose = insulin, which would inhibit it? Not sure if thats right tho.
smartieiow
Report 16 years ago
Do you reckon there's more than one answer? Cos it did say "suggest"......?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
dont think so cuz if it was glucagon then logically u would require more food, so it cant be right.
how did u all describe the graph
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
But if you have a decrease in glucagon, then that means that less glycogen is having to be converted to glucose, ie the need for glucose is less, so you dont have to eat as much, so the satiety centre is stimulated to inhibit eating?!

A roundabout answer I know but is it strictly wrong?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I see where you are coming from, if I was the marker I'd give it to you, but it depends on what is on the markscheme. Anyone else do the "Fertilisation and fetal abnormalities" essay? (I do human Bio.)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i put that adrenaline would cause an increases in glucose levels - but then i thought both Qs were very similar, or what i said was anyway. I said that a rise in glucose could cause a rise in another hormone which would be detected by receptors in the hypothalmus, or for the first one, that insulin itself is detected by hypothalmus

i thought the q on ammonia was really hard - didn't get time to think it through properly, put some crap about site directed inhibition etc, or low pH caused by ammonium chloride - but i think it might have been end product inhibition???

On the unit 5 paper, 2nd Q - about finches, i learnt that density independent factors are abiotic - i.e. rainfall, but didn't feel the graph supported this.

And why were the 2 marks for saying just one other use of gibberelins?? i felt that about a lot of the Q's that there were often more marks then points that were being asked to be made.
drivenoverlemon
Report 16 years ago
oh my god- I`m so worried now! I`ve done sooo badly!! ah well the one bout the finches i put density independent coz i was taught that density dependent are always biotic and as far as im concerned rain isnt living!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i put glucagon....this is because if there is a high level on glucagon in the blood more glucose is being converted to glycogen, and therefore the high level of glycogen stimulate the seity cntr to inhibit the feeding the center so no more glucose enters the body...

the finches question i wrote density dependent, as in the the anual rainfall controled the population of finches...basic comman sense really....
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I also put that the ammonia thing was due to enzyme inhibition, but my friend put that it was due to the enzyme or substrate concentration decreasing.......I dont know which is the right answer.
Also, I think that glucagon converts glycogen to glucose in order to raise the blood sugar level..it's insulin that is secreted in order to lower the blood sugar.
And rainfall is an abiotic, density independent factor.....the amount of rain is not affected by the number of finches!!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.16%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (90)
19.61%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.58%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.1%