The Student Room Group

Equality analysis on effect of proposed DSA changes 15/16

An Equality Analysis on the effect of changes made to the Student Support Regulations for the year 2015 to 2016 has been published today at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/364182/bis-14-1108-higher-education-disabled-students-allowances-equality-analysis.pdf
How does this affect those of us who are distance learner? Especially for things like consumables.
Reply 2
From what I can see no consumables will be funded.
I'm still wading through the 80 pages and finding lots of conflicting evidence within the report. E.g. 75% of students don't use their DVR for lectures v assistive technology should be promoted over Non-medical help support to maintain independence.
The non-medical support v assistive technology is an interesting one. In one way, NMH is easier for me (ignoring the fact that I was awarded one to help me to get to and from lectures) because of my concentration issues. And my note taker doubles as a reader.
Reply 4
Some points I've picked up on (so far):

39. entry-level specification computers are no longer an ‘additional’ cost and propose that these are no longer funded through DSAs. We further propose that where students require a higher specification computer because of their disability, they should contribute to the cost to the equivalent of an entry-level computer

40. IT peripherals (Printers/ scanners) will no longer be funded through DSAs as a matter of course.

43. It is proposed that students will no longer be recommended a consumables allowance

46. It is our view that the purchase of books is a cost which the generality of students expect to meet and that this should be no different for disabled students.

52. the extra costs associated with the provision of appropriate accommodation for disabled students does engage the Equality Act, and having done so, any extra charge related to that accommodation cannot be passed on to the student.

55. DSAs funding will only be available to provide funding towards the additional costs of accommodation which is not provided by the student’s institution or its agent.

61. We propose that the following areas of support will no longer be ordinarily considered for DSAs funding from 2016/17, these are generic terms but will also cover support where other descriptive terms are used, but the support is essentially the same:
Practical Support Assistant, Library Support Assistant, Reader, Scribe, Workshop/Laboratory Assistant, Proof Reader, Study Assistant, Examination Support Worker, Manual Note-takers, Transcription services

65. We propose that DSAs funding remains available to students presenting with moderate to severe levels of Specific Learning Difficulties, as evidence by the range of tests, and that institutions make sufficient anticipatory and individual reasonable adjustments to meet the needs of their students presenting with a mild Specific Learning Difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest