Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interiority)
    Four streams for each subject is better than simply sticking everyone in two different schools with no streaming in subjects at all, as it is in my area. Even two streams for each subject in one school where people could move between streams in individual subjects if necessary would be better than that.
    I believe every school should have some streaming. But if grammar schools don't (sorry, not quite sure how they work) then the comprehensive streaming system works much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Is it streamed enough though? I remember some girls coming to my school from a state school and they'd dropped down two or three maths sets.
    Streamed enough?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this but no matter what the case is, Comps. offer far more flexibility for streaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    I believe every school should have some streaming. But if grammar schools don't (sorry, not quite sure how they work) then the comprehensive streaming system works much better.
    I don't think Grammar schools need to as the pupils have all been "streamed in" in the first place havn't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Streamed enough?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this but no matter what the case is, Comps. offer far more flexibility for streaming.
    Ah sorry. What I meant was in my school the maths sets are streamed. Two girls moved from nearby schools into my one, and dropped from the top set to set three or four. I was just questioning on whether comprehensives streamed enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't think Grammar schools need to as the pupils have all been "streamed in" in the first place havn't they?
    You'd be surprised at the variation in learning ability at any school, even when pupils have been selected.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this means that a teacher has identified that they were not suitable for that class and has moved them accordingly.

Which type of school do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Surely this means that a teacher has identified that they were not suitable for that class and has moved them accordingly.

Which type of school do you go to?
    Independent...sorry, not quite relevant to the state school debate These girls were obviously intelligent, just their strengths were not in maths. I just wondered why they were in stream one in their old school.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they were among the brightest at their old school, but not at yours?
    Couldn't be, state schools harbour some really intelligent people.

ReputationRep:
    They do indeed... But the school they attended might simply have happened to have an unusually low standard.
    Lol, im being a bit too picky about this. Nah, their state school happened to be one of the best in my area. What I'm musing over is whether the state schools should increase streaming (and so decrease their large class sizes) to narrow down the disparity in each set.

Obviously there isn't enough revenue for this, so grammar schools with streaming seems to be a good compromise. Bit like the german system.

ReputationRep:
    A boy in my old school was like a genius. Seriously though, he was doing GCSE work in Year 5, programming computers in Year 4 and always correcting the teachers. He is now going to go to Eton. I think his family were immigrants and maybe that could have been an incentive to 'push him' more. I'm curious to know what the people in my school actually are going to be when they are older. They all want to be footballers and games testers but I doubt if any of them will make it. Does anyone actually plan to be a dinnerlady or a cleaner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggysqueak)
    A boy in my old school was like a genius. Seriously though, he was doing GCSE work in Year 5, programming computers in Year 4 and always correcting the teachers. He is now going to go to Eton. I think his family were immigrants and maybe that could have been an incentive to 'push him' more. I'm curious to know what the people in my school actually are going to be when they are older. They all want to be footballers and games testers but I doubt if any of them will make it. Does anyone actually plan to be a dinnerlady or a cleaner?
    Well if i fail my a-levels or flunk my degree then yes, cleaner sounds like a very attractive career divertion

ReputationRep:
    Wow- I have just noticed that my name thingymagig has changed to 'Junior Member'. Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggysqueak)
    Wow- I have just noticed that my name thingymagig has changed to 'Junior Member'. Why?
    It changes with the number of posts you make. Read the FAQ.

ReputationRep:
    The more streaming, the better. Maybe a selective system with streaming, as in Germany, would be best. But still, there should be more chance to move between schools.

I believe in Germany, the selection process is more than simply verbal reasoning, that notes from teachers, parental input, etc. are needed. This would be far, far better than the UK test.
    Me too! Then i wouldn't have bothered going to an independent. Dammit, let's all up and move to germany...

ReputationRep:
    Ja! As I recall, in Germany, your junior school teachers make the decision based on your results, how well you work, potential, etc. Parents are allowed to appeal the decision, but relatively few do.

Disclaimer: I may be wrong, this is all I remember from GCSE lessons!
    Lol, yeah that's all I remember from pre-GCSE german lessons. That's a much better indicator of potential than just tests.

ReputationRep:
    Though it might have prevented the likes of me from getting in, hehe.
    Doubt it somehow, you seem intelligent! Argh, must go and finish a physics paper due in for tomorrow. Talk to you later.

ReputationRep:
    Streaming isn't really as good as people seem to think. Why should someone who isn't really intelligent have to put up with these people and the intelligent ones do not (although they too ge their fair share of bad class mates).

Streaming has disadvantages:

1) Those who are not so bright are often stuck with people who are bad behaved and ruin their chances. These people loose their motivation and are very unlikely to perform well in examinations.
    2) People of top sets become very complacent and this again makes them lack motivation. Also those who straggle behind or even, are not top lack motivation because they know they wont ever become the top of the class.
    3) People tend to mess around with people who too, don't give a **** and these people tend to be of the same ability.
    4) Mixing classes up causes excitement. Everyone in the same form would get bored with each other but grow close.

As opposed to non streaming. It splits the bad groups up, allows everyone to have a fairer chance, allows people to feel proud for achieving higher than others and a better attitude will hopefully spread, which is much better than say the bottom set.

ReputationRep:
    I went to one of the worst high schools ever. I really do have *hundreds* of stories which you could read in any copy of private eye. Bullies who permanently blinded other students and were still allowed back, people who brought guns in, people who were stabbed, teachers knocked out with chairs. It was insane looking back on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I went to one of the worst high schools ever. I really do have *hundreds* of stories which you could read in any copy of private eye. Bullies who permanently blinded other students and were still allowed back, people who brought guns in, people who were stabbed, teachers knocked out with chairs. It was insane looking back on it.
    What do you think were the major reasons behind this level of chaos?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What do you think were the major reasons behind this level of chaos?
    Sheer poverty. Most of the kids there have grown up in awful conditions and on one level are entirely happy to stay in that position. There were a few teachers though, some really amazing people who were able to get through them. Unfortunately the other 85% were crap and entirely unsuitable for teaching.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.