Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Come off it, we have a Labour government and have had for nearly seven years but they haven't dared close down one grammar.
    They will be phased out, mark my words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    They will be phased out, mark my words.
    I seriously doubt it - the public are for them, the movement to abolish them is small and they are the only state schools that don't prop up the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt it - the public are for them, the movement to abolish them is small and they are the only state schools that don't prop up the league tables.
    The public are not for them. Most of those who can be bothered to vote are for them.
    Grammar school activists are notoriously zealous. These are the people who pay other children to sit the eleven plus/ entrance exams.

ReputationRep:
    Grammar Schools are an elitist invention, and their time is coming to an end.

ReputationRep:
    Tut, tut, tut. We all know how well the league tables compare Comps and Grammars.

Remember the three I's:

Intake
    Intake
    Intake

ReputationRep:
    Tut, tut, tut. We all know how well the league tables compare Comps and Grammars.

Remember the three I's:

Intake
    Intake
    Intake
    Incidentally, waht is wrong with this post? http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....postcount=1084

Or this one http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....&postcount=162 ?

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, waht is wrong with this post? http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....postcount=1084

Or this one http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....&postcount=162 ?
    They are fairly meaningless to me.

ReputationRep:
    They are fairly meaningless to me.
    But you gave them both negative rep (!)

ReputationRep:
    But you gave them both negative rep (!)
    Twas a long time ago.
    TO be honest, if I was going to neg rep you, I wouldn't bother finding the relevant post; I'd just do it.

ReputationRep:
    Twas a long time ago.
    TO be honest, if I was going to neg rep you, I wouldn't bother finding the relevant post; I'd just do it.
    You have the title of giving me the most negative rep - at least 1/2 of all my negative rep has come from you.

ReputationRep:
    You have the title of giving me the most negative rep - at least 1/2 of all my negative rep has come from you.
    Lol. What do I receive for this honour?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Lol. What do I receive for this honour?
    I have a feeling it might be some shiney red gems....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    If I honestly cared then that would probably be a good reward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    No, no, I think it is petty to give out red gems with no real justification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    'Special school'....

This is an extreme, there are more kids in my experience that are badly behaved and don't want to learn in particular but have at least some degree of 'fear' for the teachers (or parents), i.e. the underachievers. How to deal with these? It should be possible with the right techniques as they aren't beyond all hope, but we don't really have a system that can do it, i.e. crap teachers, lack of special attention for these kids. Putting the little buggers in a class full of kids just like themselves is no good to man nor beast, as it just helps to propagate the bad behaviour etc. Hasn't it been shown that putting underachievers in a 'top set' class improves their behaviour and performance? There must be something to be learned from that.

that happened at my school recently (the throwing the chair bit...) and the swearing, that's always

ReputationRep:
    WOW! So you can find out who negative rep. you just because you've paid a fiver?

ReputationRep:
    Is a grammar school a state school for people who get good grades?
    I don't think they exist here.

Anyway in my opinion state schools are really hell.
    I wish I was streamed the minute i set foot in the door of my school because I ended up in the worst class in the year with loads of nutcases. So much time was wasted because of people not behaving/arguing and we were always getting shouted at. When i went into first year I had to do time in maths and basic basic english, I actually got taught stuff I had already passed, they taught us level D when I had passed level E at primary school?yeh crap. That's not what really bothers me though it was the whole getting made fun of if you did homework, did work, showed an interest, got a good grade. Also having to sit in classes next to people who weren't really right in the head, a boy in my class wasn't and he used to sit and masturbate and touch himself and sometimes wet himself. Yeah really a great place to learn.

After i started getting streamed it was alright, still a crap school but the first 2 years were hell.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    Yes they are.
    But you are in good company, 93% of us attend them.

ReputationRep:
    I remember the one great maths teacher that I've had at my school (although he left ) one lesson for about 10 minutes he started teaching more complicated stuff than we'd been doing, I found that 10 minutes really great, but some of the other kids didn't, one of the kids in the class went ' Sir, we're bored, we don't get it, you're only teaching X, X and X' and the teacher went 'Now you know what it's like for them all the time'.

Anyway my point is that in most of the classes in comprehensives (I don't know about grammars) even in the top set the teachers can't really stretch the higher achievers as they're busy trying to get everyone up to the same standard and therefore people don't achieve as well as they could and reach there potential because they're "lost in the crowd"

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.