The Student Room Group

Gap year - External student, re-taking/self teaching.

Hi.

Is it possible to go BCC to ABB by self teaching? I am determined to do better this year around, plus, I am paying £300 for it all, so I would have to make sure I push myself.

I am going to enter myself as an external candidate, and go in at June to do it. But I don't know if it's actually possible to self teach? I don't want a tutor. I had one before and it wasn't for me.

Will Unis whom are wanted ABB's even want me?

Thanks.
Original post by Utterly-confused
Hi.

Is it possible to go BCC to ABB by self teaching? I am determined to do better this year around, plus, I am paying £300 for it all, so I would have to make sure I push myself.

I am going to enter myself as an external candidate, and go in at June to do it. But I don't know if it's actually possible to self teach? I don't want a tutor. I had one before and it wasn't for me.

Thanks.

Yes they will like Liverpool/Leicester good ones and how many exams are you resitting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's certainly possible, but whether it is reasonable for you to achieve those grades is another answer entirely. Why do you think you didn't achieve those grades last time, realistically?
Hi there! of course its possible to self teach! im in the same position as you, with BCC and aiming for AAA/AAB this year, retaking 5 exams and sitting 4 new ones ( a level economics). however i would start studying now if i was you, i have alredy completed notes on one module and am doing past paper questions, looking at mark schemes and reading examiners reports to see what ive missed out/need to improve on. obviously i will do this nearer the exam aswell but as i am self teaching i am trying to master each module before moving on.

in answer to your other question, ABB unis should deifnitlely make you an offer, i got one last year predicted rubbish and this year, in addition to writing a better personal statment with more experience and passion for my course, a reference, better predicted grades and 3 a levels already, i am banking on some more offers. in regards to self teaching, you will be doing that at university aswell so if you can get into the habit of doing it now, great. what i reccomend is obtaining the text books you need of amazon, new or used it dosent matter as long as they are relevant to the specificiation you use, and also print of ocopies of the exam spec of the board website and tick of topics on each module as you go along.

DONT LET PEOPLE TELL YOU YOU CANT ACHEIVE IT. A LEVELS ARE ALL ABOUT EXAM TECHNIQUE NOT EXPRESSING YOURSELF. PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND ME DO MUCH BETTER AT DEGREE LEVEL WERE WE ARE NOT FORCED INTO TELLING THE EXAMINERS WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR.
Original post by Utterly-confused
Hi.

Thanks.

To be honest with you I spent most of my second year self teaching- I'm really not a lessons person. Well, I'm going to be honest, I didn't try that hard, and I went from a D in chemistry A/S to a B overall in A level. I maintained my other two B grades from a/s upto A level, so, just put the work in and you certainly can achieve it. And universities will want you- I had BBDD applying for an AAB course, and had four offers from nottingham, manchester, cardiff and sussex. Just put the work in, and just remember to be smart with what you resit.

Best of luck to you!
Original post by neal95
Hi there! of course its possible to self teach! im in the same position as you, with BCC and aiming for AAA/AAB this year, retaking 5 exams and sitting 4 new ones ( a level economics). however i would start studying now if i was you, i have alredy completed notes on one module and am doing past paper questions, looking at mark schemes and reading examiners reports to see what ive missed out/need to improve on. obviously i will do this nearer the exam aswell but as i am self teaching i am trying to master each module before moving on.

in answer to your other question, ABB unis should deifnitlely make you an offer, i got one last year predicted rubbish and this year, in addition to writing a better personal statment with more experience and passion for my course, a reference, better predicted grades and 3 a levels already, i am banking on some more offers. in regards to self teaching, you will be doing that at university aswell so if you can get into the habit of doing it now, great. what i reccomend is obtaining the text books you need of amazon, new or used it dosent matter as long as they are relevant to the specificiation you use, and also print of ocopies of the exam spec of the board website and tick of topics on each module as you go along.

DONT LET PEOPLE TELL YOU YOU CANT ACHEIVE IT. A LEVELS ARE ALL ABOUT EXAM TECHNIQUE NOT EXPRESSING YOURSELF. PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND ME DO MUCH BETTER AT DEGREE LEVEL WERE WE ARE NOT FORCED INTO TELLING THE EXAMINERS WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR.

I love this!!! :biggrin: your advice is amazing! !! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
I love this!!! :biggrin: your advice is amazing! !! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot :smile: it is good to know that help and support is there for us all when we need it, especially as we are all in the same resitting boat!!

Quick Reply

Latest