The Student Room Group

Going to Societies alone?

I've joined the LGBT society and the only social i can go to is the one tomorrow, which is fancy dress. I hate fancy dress so much! But i want to meet people and this is my only opportunity.

However, by now everyone knows each other so everyone will be in their own groups, and i find it so awkward (and impossible) to make friends when people already have people to talk to. I looked at the page on FB and everyone is talking about who they're going with and what they're wearing etc.

The thing to make it worse is i've been to a few socials in the past and i've talked to a few people. We've lost touch and don't talk anymore, so i don't want to see them with their friends and for them to see me looking like a loner with no one to talk to.

I realise these are excuses, but right now they're all piling on top of each other and i don't want to go to the social just to sit in the corner by myself. The problem with societies is that after the first few two weeks everyone already has friends and groups so it's hard to work your way into them.
Original post by Anonymous
I've joined the LGBT society and the only social i can go to is the one tomorrow, which is fancy dress. I hate fancy dress so much! But i want to meet people and this is my only opportunity.

However, by now everyone knows each other so everyone will be in their own groups, and i find it so awkward (and impossible) to make friends when people already have people to talk to. I looked at the page on FB and everyone is talking about who they're going with and what they're wearing etc.

The thing to make it worse is i've been to a few socials in the past and i've talked to a few people. We've lost touch and don't talk anymore, so i don't want to see them with their friends and for them to see me looking like a loner with no one to talk to.

I realise these are excuses, but right now they're all piling on top of each other and i don't want to go to the social just to sit in the corner by myself. The problem with societies is that after the first few two weeks everyone already has friends and groups so it's hard to work your way into them.

lol you pick the best society.
Two words. Just go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending