The Student Room Group

Scottish Space School 2015

I'm planning to apply for space school this year, has anyone been before? What should I include in the personal statement and what should I ask my teacher to write about? Thanks :smile:
I was there this year :smile: I'm also through to the Houston/Florida Learning Journey - a week tomorrow asdfghjkl;...
For the personal statement, you literally have to write about what they say on the website. Write about why you want to attend, what are you hoping to gain from it?
For the teacher reference, I'm not particularly sure what they're meant to talk about, I can tell you what I know but it might be best to email them to get the best information. I think it's better that the teacher writes honestly, rather than you just saying to them 'Write this and this' My teacher wrote about my ability in physics and also how he thought I would be suited to the atmosphere at Space School.
If you have any more questions, PM or quote me :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by greenladybird
I was there this year :smile: I'm also through to the Houston/Florida Learning Journey - a week tomorrow asdfghjkl;...
For the personal statement, you literally have to write about what they say on the website. Write about why you want to attend, what are you hoping to gain from it?
For the teacher reference, I'm not particularly sure what they're meant to talk about, I can tell you what I know but it might be best to email them to get the best information. I think it's better that the teacher writes honestly, rather than you just saying to them 'Write this and this' My teacher wrote about my ability in physics and also how he thought I would be suited to the atmosphere at Space School.

Should it be my physics teacher that writes the reference or can I ask someone else? I don't know my physics teacher that well yet but I have had the same maths teacher for years and I'd rather ask him if that is allowed?

Thanks, I will do. Congrats on Houston!! It sounds amazing, two girls from my physics class from other schools are going and a girl in my school is going too :smile:
Original post by superfinfin
I'm planning to apply for space school this year, has anyone been before? What should I include in the personal statement and what should I ask my teacher to write about? Thanks :smile:

Wow that sounds amazing!
Original post by superfinfin
Should it be my physics teacher that writes the reference or can I ask someone else? I don't know my physics teacher that well yet but I have had the same maths teacher for years and I'd rather ask him if that is allowed?

Thanks, I will do. Congrats on Houston!! It sounds amazing, two girls from my physics class from other schools are going and a girl in my school is going too :smile:

I think it can be any STEM teacher, so your maths teacher should be fine!
I'm guessing you're from Inverclyde then :L
Reply 5

Great, maths is my strongest subject :smile: Thanks.
I am indeed :P
Reply 6

How was it?
Original post by Ecasx
How was it?

Nothing less than the most inspiring week of my life...
I'm really not sure how much weighting actually goes into the personal statement. The physics teacher who promotes SSS in my school said it's always been a bit of a lottery so don't be too down hearted if you don't get it. Last year it was almost obvious they'd just chosen the first boy and girl off the list of candidates for our school in alphabetical order.

Good luck anyhow :smile:
From someone else who went to Space School (top forty woop woop!) I can safely say that it was the best week of my life, I was not so sure what to study at the time. I was thinking about engineering, but I was more into the idea of studying physics or chemistry.

Space School showed me an area that I hadn't really considered before, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, and now I can't think of anything else I'd rather study! Finger's crossed I get accepted haha!

I highly recommend applying, it's more than something to just put in the Personal Statement. It actively shows you University Life and you get to spend time with people who you WILL study with in the future!! :biggrin:
Reply 10

Hello, I was wondering if you would mind telling me the activities you did while there, since the description is very vague

Cheers,
Thomas
Original post by tommob
Hello, I was wondering if you would mind telling me the activities you did while there, since the description is very vague

Cheers,
Thomas

We had a few talks from the NASA guests, as well as various challenges from different departments within the faculty of engineering.
We also did work on our projects for the week.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask :h:
Reply 12
We had a few talks from the NASA guests, as well as various challenges from different departments within the faculty of engineering.
We also did work on our projects for the week.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask :h:

Ah thank you, that's helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending