Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Have to say muslim versions inspired me

Whatever, title.
Gax
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm an atheist myself but only turned about a year ago, from Christianity. Did you also convert from a religion or did you grow up that way? Also how knowledgeable are you about religious texts (Bible, Qu'ran, Tanahk etc)?
geneticist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gax)
I'm an atheist myself but only turned about a year ago, from Christianity. Did you also convert from a religion or did you grow up that way? Also how knowledgeable are you about religious texts (Bible, Qu'ran, Tanahk etc)?
Your first question is rather difficult I didn't grow up in a religious household,my mom is deist and i don't know what my dad is(probably atheist,agnostic or deist) because we never talk about religious topics at home I live in an islamic country,I have alevi(an islamic sect-the most peaceful,tolerant,respectful sect) relatives,they practice religion in a different way,not like Sunnis.I never practiced religion but I had to assume I was muslim due to society pressure.I didn't know what atheism was until i was 14-15.I was able to observe the society and the world during my adolescence,maybe I should thank my parent for that some time

To be honest I'm not an expert on Bible or Tanahk but I'm a bit an expert on Islam since we are obliged to take religion courses for 12 years (From primary school to high school)Also religion is everywhere,there are theologists on TV every single day...I have enough knowledge of Islam since it's shoved down to our throats I didn't read Quran but it's everywhere so I'll consider I'm knowledgeable
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
do you find Mr Dawkins hot ?
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you like cheese?
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you think that all religions are basically the same or that some are radically different from others?

Further, do you think that we as atheists should be concentrating our criticisms on those religions which pose more of a threat to people's freedom (or whatever it is you value), or should we be criticising all religions equally? Or should atheists not talk about religion in your opinion?

Do you wish you could believe in God, or are you glad that there is no god?
geneticist
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
do you find Mr Dawkins hot ?
Yeap! All scientists are hot :cool:

Fun fact : I didn't know about Richard Dawkins before I've become an atheist.
geneticist
Rep:
?
(Original post by hellodave5)
Do you like cheese?
Of course,who doesn't?
blurrygirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What do you hope for?
TheTruthTeller
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which country are you from and live in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by geneticist)
Yeap! All scientists are hot :cool:

Fun fact : I didn't know about Richard Dawkins before I've become an atheist.
:rave::woo:

bear™ has a science degree :tong:
geneticist
Rep:
?
(Original post by felamaslen)
Do you think that all religions are basically the same or that some are radically different from others?

Further, do you think that we as atheists should be concentrating our criticisms on those religions which pose more of a threat to people's freedom (or whatever it is you value), or should we be criticising all religions equally? Or should atheists not talk about religion in your opinion?

Do you wish you could believe in God, or are you glad that there is no god?
1)My answer is yes,they are all the same.Being elegant doesn't mean you're not radical.Christians used to hunt witches,they got though a transition and learned their lessons.I don't know any Christian people,but we should admit there are quite pious Christians around the world and being aggressive equals being radical in some way.All religions inhibit people from being open minded,rational,being a free thinker.

I oppose every classification except for biological classification because it's based on facts.

2)We should criticize them equally.I think my first answer is also an answer for your second question

"Or should atheists not talk about religion in your opinion?" Everybody should talk about whatever they want.

3) No I don't wish,I'm doing fine Converting atheism from a religion is much more easier but I don't think I can believe in god in the future it's too late.I'm not glad or sad,I'm neutral about it.As we all know he's reluctant to show up so he doesn't affect our lives,I don't mind it
geneticist
Rep:
?
(Original post by blurrygirl)
What do you hope for?
A cure for ebola
Peace in the Middle East(Like that's ever going to happen)

All i can think of for now

(Original post by TheTruthTeller)
Which country are you from and live in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turkey and Turkey
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1)My answer is yes,they are all the same.Being elegant doesn't mean you're not radical.Christians used to hunt witches,they got though a transition and learned their lessons.I don't know any Christian people,but we should admit there are quite pious Christians around the world and being aggressive equals being radical in some way.All religions inhibit people from being open minded,rational,being a free thinker.

I oppose every classification except for biological classification because it's based on facts.

2)We should criticize them equally.I think my first answer is also an answer for your second question

"Or should atheists not talk about religion in your opinion?" Everybody should talk about whatever they want.

3) No I don't wish,I'm doing fine Converting atheism from a religion is much more easier but I don't think I can believe in god in the future it's too late.I'm not glad or sad,I'm neutral about it.As we all know he's reluctant to show up so he doesn't affect our lives,I don't mind it
But suppose somebody's radical beliefs are in the direction of non-violence. Suppose somebody is so radically non-violent that they don't even touch people for fear of causing them pain. Clearly this person would be a sociopath, and their beliefs would be so radical as to be harmful to their own well-being. But they would be harmful to nobody else. What is it about religious belief which puts it in a category of its own? I don't think religious beliefs necessarily have any more in common with each other than beliefs in general. I do agree that they all inhibit rational and sceptical thought. But beyond this, what else?

So should we criticise a religion which persecutes gays, atheists, apostates and blasphemers as much as we criticise one which protects the rights of all and accepts criticism? This is not a hypothetical question, as I'm sure you are aware.

Interesting, I meet a lot of people who say that a belief in god is helpful for them, or would be helpful for them if they could have it. But I agree with you on this; I think the existence of a god (certainly an Abrahamic god) would be sinister.
mackemforever
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Ok, first things first, I too am an atheist so don't try and accuse me of defending my religion or anything daft like that. I just have to say that I think saying that all religions are the same is highly offensive, and even if you do think that religion is a pointless institution it doesn't make it right to be rude about those who choose to have religious beliefs.

Anyway, I do have a question for you.

You have already insulted those who choose to have a religion, however do you think it's such a bad thing if peoples religious beliefs give them hope, gives them in their mind a purpose and a set of beliefs to live their life by that make them a good person?
geneticist
Rep:
?
(Original post by mackemforever)
Ok, first things first, I too am an atheist so don't try and accuse me of defending my religion or anything daft like that. I just have to say that I think saying that all religions are the same is highly offensive, and even if you do think that religion is a pointless institution it doesn't make it right to be rude about those who choose to have religious beliefs.

Anyway, I do have a question for you.

You have already insulted those who choose to have a religion, however do you think it's such a bad thing if peoples religious beliefs give them hope, gives them in their mind a purpose and a set of beliefs to live their life by that make them a good person?
I don't see anything offensive or rude in my post,it's your opinion I won't accuse you of anything I don't know why you said that.Every religion has something in common,that's why I think they're all the same and I don't find it offensive.

For example I find it irrational when a person believes in heaven and still scared of death.And of course being irrational is not a crime.

I don't insult those who choose to have a religion,but tell me,who choose their religion?Do religious people let their children choose their own religion?In most cases religion is taught.

Whatever,my answer is yes it's not a bad thing.But we can simply find comfort in reality by making most of our lives.
geneticist
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
:rave::woo:

bear™ has a science degree :tong:
What is your degree?

I'm also a science major

(I'm not hot,it was a joke)
Famokhan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have to say muslim versions inspired me

Whatever, title.
just a simple question, don't you think the order of the world, how everything is made just perfect is too good to have come around by chance?
Don't you think there must have been a creator, whether it is the muslim God, Christian God etc?
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is your atheism the most interesting thing about you?

If not, what is?
geneticist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Famokhan)
just a simple question, don't you think the order of the world, how everything is made just perfect is too good to have come around by chance?
Don't you think there must have been a creator, whether it is the muslim God, Christian God etc?
It's not perfect,in fact our universe is a very dangerous place with all those radiation,cosmologic events,blasts going on.It's a scary place I used to think that way but quantum mechanics changed my mind and showed me how spontaneous our universe was.Universe is not acting like there's a creator.I can recommend you watching the videos below.(Second one is lecture by Alan Guth on Multiverse,there are also plenty of physics lectures on Youtube and do not require being a physics genious )

(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Is your atheism the most interesting thing about you?

If not, what is?
No,I really don't know There are plenty of muslim-ama threads,so I thought like why not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (26)
11.06%
Yes - a food allergy (24)
10.21%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (7)
2.98%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (8)
3.4%
No (170)
72.34%

Watched Threads