Blonde Watch

This discussion is closed.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
But if you are in a management position people are more likely to think that you slept your way to the top because you're a blonde.
hahaha! classic!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
with the whole smart thing, prices r so high for these flashy suits!!
Not at all its no different for anyone else no matter what their hair colour.
You can pick up decent suit trousers for £20 in dorothy perkins and a jacket for £35 which is no more than regular clothes - even cheaper in H&M
They arent the best but if you pick a classic style they can look pretty smart. You can get a really nice suit for under £100 if you shop carefully.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
But if you are in a management position people are more likely to think that you slept your way to the top because you're a blonde.
Rubbish thats a 1970s stereotype.
I know plenty of blondes in good jobs and it is known they are there because of their intelligence.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Do people actually idolise Jordan? Can't think of a much worse 'celebrity' role model...
well yea. thats what the media wants! young kids and teenagers (guys to oogle over her) to idol her! u no, the blonde and slim and big knockers kinda thing. the media want them to think that thats how u shud and how u need to be to get anywhere - career wise, relationship wise and basically life wise
Amb1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I just want to say that I really don't care about stereotypes and stereotypical behaviour, I feel I know myself well enough to deal with it if/when I experience it. This thread wasn't supposed to be about whether it's right that blondes are stupid. But why is it socially accepted to take the p*ss out of blondes when it's so frowned upon for other very similar types of pejudicial behaviour??
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
I just want to say that I really don't care about stereotypes and stereotypical behaviour, I feel I know myself well enough to deal with it if/when I experience it. This thread wasn't supposed to be about whether it's right that blondes are stupid. But why is it socially accepted to take the p*ss out of blondes when it's so frowned upon for other very similar types of pejudicial behaviour??
because, in 2 words, thats life! and theres nothin no one can do about it. its human nature to group togther a certain standard and do all they can to put it down. makes themselves feel good u see.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Well thats the idea of stereotypes, they are a generalisation that in practice don't seem to fit many individuals very well. But, a lot of redheads are feisty! We can't back this up with stats, but its not hard to see why this could become a stereotype.
In my experience, most redheads are either incredibly shy or incredibly over-the-top. I attribute this to being horribly bullied at school, which can either make you want to crawl under a rock, or refuse to take any sh*t from anyone ever again. Blondes have got it easy if you ask me.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
I dont think that the stereotype exists anymore other than as an acknowledged joke. I dont think people really believe blondes are stupid. I;ve been called barbie before and it made me laugh when I got far higher results its just jealousy and the girl knew it was jealousy. I think PC ness with regards to race is different people dont genuinely hate blondes but I think people do hate others for the colour of their skin which makes it far more malicious and nasty.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
Blondes have got it easy if you ask me.
i dont think we have!!!! i no its only meant as a joke and i dont take personal offence form it, but whenever i say somethin stpid (often) or make a mistake (again, often) the comments i get r "oh shes blonde, its ok" or "blame the hair" or somethin along those lines. and, for some reason, guys, esp those in bars and clubs presume u wil sleep with them or get up to some hankypanky on the dance floor. just because of the blonde. grrr!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
I think people do hate others for the colour of their skin which makes it far more malicious and nasty.
i agree, its a nasty reason to hate a person and its downright wrong!
Amb1
Rep:
?
In my experience, most redheads are either incredibly shy or incredibly over-the-top. I attribute this to being horribly bullied at school, which can either make you want to crawl under a rock, or refuse to take any sh*t from anyone ever again. Blondes have got it easy if you ask me.
You have to admit that there's a lot of p*ss taking around about blondes though. Lucky that most are easy going and don't take it so seriously, it could and probably does get taken to heart by some.
Amb1
Rep:
?
I dont think that the stereotype exists anymore other than as an acknowledged joke. I dont think people really believe blondes are stupid. I;ve been called barbie before and it made me laugh when I got far higher results its just jealousy and the girl knew it was jealousy. I think PC ness with regards to race is different people dont genuinely hate blondes but I think people do hate others for the colour of their skin which makes it far more malicious and nasty.
See what you mean. Although prejudice and discrimination isn't always about hate.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
I think probably because no one really does it in a vicious way. Blonde jokes are usually pretty harmless, but when someone tells a racist joke it is often meant seriously.

If you take TV as an indicator of our values, you can see how things have changed though - racist jokes are hardly ever heard unless they're meant to be ironic, but the 'dumb blonde' jokes are disappearing too, along with the 'my mother-in-law is so fat...' ones.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think probably because no one really does it in a vicious way. Blonde jokes are usually pretty harmless, but when someone tells a racist joke it is often meant seriously.

If you take TV as an indicator of our values, you can see how things have changed though - racist jokes are hardly ever heard unless they're meant to be ironic, but the 'dumb blonde' jokes are disappearing too, along with the 'my mother-in-law is so fat...' ones.
its a sad sad world these days
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
see I'm strawb blonde so I get the best of both. If I do something stupid I'm a dizzy blonde, if someone wants to have a go they will call me ginga.
Its never bothered me, I know people want my hair colour anyway people who had a go at school have told me now that we are older that they were jealous of it. Kids are mean and they look at something obvious to pick on thats life. Blondes were traditionally more glamorous which gets associated with stupidity through jealousy I concede sometimes truth but not the majority of the time.
Amb1
Rep:
?
No jokes are meant seriously, that's why they're jokes. It's the same thing.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
see I'm strawb blonde so I get the best of both. If I do something stupid I'm a dizzy blonde, if someone wants to have a go they will call me ginga.
Its never bothered me, I know people want my hair colour anyway people who had a go at school have told me now that we are older that they were jealous of it. Kids are mean and they look at something obvious to pick on thats life. Blondes were traditionally more glamorous which gets associated with stupidity through jealousy I concede sometimes truth but not the majority of the time.
i love strawb blonde!!!! i just leave mine as it is tho, bright blonde with what looks like roots - and theyr not coz my hair aint dyed anymore. washed out!
benm
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The reason why people aren't offended by blonde jokes is because the mass media doesn't tell them to be.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
No jokes are meant seriously, that's why they're jokes. It's the same thing.
Not at all some jokes are very thinly veiled with venom. You're not telling me that some racist and sexist jokes arent meant. Jokes about women drivers for instance. I think most men do think that women are crap drivers.
Amb1
Rep:
?
(Original post by benm)
The reason why people aren't offended by blonde jokes is because the mass media doesn't tell them to be.
Do you think it should?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (640)
91.04%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (63)
8.96%

Watched Threads