Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    i dont think we have!!!! i no its only meant as a joke and i dont take personal offence form it, but whenever i say somethin stpid (often) or make a mistake (again, often) the comments i get r "oh shes blonde, its ok" or "blame the hair" or somethin along those lines. and, for some reason, guys, esp those in bars and clubs presume u wil sleep with them or get up to some hankypanky on the dance floor. just because of the blonde. grrr!
    Blokes presume anyone will sleep with them! I'm not blonde, and I get that kind of attitude from men in clubs all the time, just because I'm willing to strike up a conversation with them! Men, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    i love strawb blonde!!!! i just leave mine as it is tho, bright blonde with what looks like roots - and theyr not coz my hair aint dyed anymore. washed out!
    I've got highlights in mine to make it back natural, I got bored and dyed it a different blonde. now I have a few darker blondes back in it and reds so it is almost my natural colour. I never go far from my colour. I did the brunette thing but I found that it didnt make me feel good you definitely get more attention as a blonde in my experience maybe it just suits my colouring better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Not at all some jokes are very thinly veiled with venom. You're not telling me that some racist and sexist jokes arent meant. Jokes about women drivers for instance. I think most men do think that women are crap drivers.
    Exactly, that's what I mean. Blonde jokes are often thinly veiled with venom too. People wouldn't find them funny if they didn't think they were a bit harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Exactly, that's what I mean. Blonde jokes are often thinly veiled with venom too. People wouldn't find them funny if they didn't think they were a bit harsh.
    I think they come into a different league now they've moved beyond that into the comical. Like Irish jokes etc. I certainly dont think all Irish people are a bit dull but I find the jokes funny.

As for driving I definitely think that is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Do you think it should?
    No, people should not have their morals programmed into them by the mass media.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone care, i mean most people are "bleach Blonde" nowadays so its hard to say who is blonde and who is not, anyway, im sure that "thick" brunettes are making blonde people look stupid, whats so good about blonde hair?
    but on the other hand most people who work in hair dressers etc are pretty thick and dye their hair londe, maybe thats where the media got their inspiration!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I'm a natural blonde and could easily be offended by remarks and jokes that I often hear, but I know it's not meant as a personal attack on me so I just accept it and laugh along. I hate PC and it's double standards. It bothers me when people kick up such a fuss about similar issues - I wish people wouldn't take everything so seriously all the time.
    the blonde jokes were not originally aimed at natural blondes. they stemmed from a couple of decades ago, when thick girls would try and improve their prospects by dyeing their hair blonde because "men prefer blondes", so at that time there were a lot of stupid, peroxide blondes around, and that's when the jokes began, however, since then they have widened to include natural blondes as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradders)
    Unpolitically correct jokes such as:

What can you say about a blonde dwarf? It's not big and it's not clever.

PS I'm a (natural) blondie too
    ROFL!! Very good!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    the blonde jokes were not originally aimed at natural blondes. they stemmed from a couple of decades ago, when thick girls would try and improve their prospects by dyeing their hair blonde because "men prefer blondes", so at that time there were a lot of stupid, peroxide blondes around, and that's when the jokes began, however, since then they have widened to include natural blondes as well
    I always assumed that the stereotype came from the idea that blondes had all been dizzyified by an overexposure to the peroxide fumes in bleach, and that (being a natural blonde) it therefore didn't apply to me...*grin*

Anyway, on a more serious note, I do believe, that although blonde jokes aren't in general intended maliciously, that the blonde stereotype can lead to subconciously held preconceptions, which, though they can't necessarily be proven, can certainly diasadvantage blondes as far as things like job prospects are concerned.
    For similar reasons, if I should ever have a daughter, I would be very careful not to give a soft sounding, "cutesy" girl's name, because I imagine, that however subconciously, a "Susy" or a "Jenny" would automatically be patronised in a male-dominated workplace.

I'm not sure who made the point, that people are not offended by blonde jokes, because the mass media doesn't tell them that they should be, but I think it's a very good one. What worries me, is that many girls buy into the stereotype themselves, and how will they ever be taken seriously, if they don't take themselves seriously, and are happy to be thought of as pretty and blonde, dizzy, cute, naive and stupid? In fact, that's just as true for brunettes or redheads, or any other hair colour.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you blondes stop being so self-righteous and self-obbsessed, who cares what colour anyones' hair is?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.