JenGreo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone! I'd like to study Japanese at Manchester university (I was informed Japanese studies isn't as good as Japanese, but you learn the language on this particular course) but I'm pretty worried about securing a place. I have a GCSE grade A in German and my a-levels should reach the requirements this year, but I don't have a languages a-level. What are Manchester like with a language beginner? Is anyone else worried? :eek:
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JenGreo)
Hi everyone! I'd like to study Japanese at Manchester university (I was informed Japanese studies isn't as good as Japanese, but you learn the language on this particular course) but I'm pretty worried about securing a place. I have a GCSE grade A in German and my a-levels should reach the requirements this year, but I don't have a languages a-level. What are Manchester like with a language beginner? Is anyone else worried? :eek:
The website clearly states you need an A level in a modern foreign language (as well as English).

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/
JenGreo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
The website clearly states you need an A level in a modern foreign language (as well as English).

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/
It says you need a minimum grade B at GCSE English language and a language. The only specification for a-levels is ABB. I'm worried about not getting in though :/
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JenGreo)
It says you need a minimum grade B at GCSE English language and a language. The only specification for a-levels is ABB. I'm worried about not getting in though :/
I apologise. I should read more carefully. It is rather silly to put GCSE requirements in a section headed A levels, though. Especially when it is the GCSE section too.

It sounds as if you are fine with what you offer.
BeePanda
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I assume with the course being ab-intio (beginner) level and not post-a level, you aren't required to have any language a-levels. If you're applying for Japanese at post-a level then, yes, you would need a Japanese A-level (or GCSE, depending on the uni) but in this case you don't need any, and having a language (other than Japanese) wouldn't be much use for the course anyway Hope this makes sense and helps!
JenGreo
Rep:
?
Thank you both for reassuring me I've decided to go for it
Barumaru
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With Japanese because it is usually taught from scratch they like you to have a foreign language at GCSE to demonstrate an aptitude for foreign language study. If you've already taught yourself some beginners Japanese some universities will accept this on place of the GCSE. But your GCSE in German will be enough good luck with your application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (31)
37.35%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
10.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
4.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (23)
27.71%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (10)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (6)
7.23%

Watched Threads