ChocInABox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey something I'm confused about. If we are looking at how mitochondria came about there is a theory known as endosymbioti theory that tries to explain this. A eukaryotic ancestor cell which is anaerobic engulfed an aerobic bacteria. Uve read up on this bur what I dint understand is how the aerobic bacteria could live inside the anaerobic ancestor cell because the bacteria requires oxygen but wouldn't any oxygen be a poison to the anaerobic cell and kill it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
willp93
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChocInABox)
Hey something I'm confused about. If we are looking at how mitochondria came about there is a theory known as endosymbioti theory that tries to explain this. A eukaryotic ancestor cell which is anaerobic engulfed an aerobic bacteria. Uve read up on this bur what I dint understand is how the aerobic bacteria could live inside the anaerobic ancestor cell because the bacteria requires oxygen but wouldn't any oxygen be a poison to the anaerobic cell and kill it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because the cell respired anaerobically doesn't mean oxygen would kill it...
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChocInABox)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I believe that the eukaryote ancestor cell would have been helped by the presence of the mitochondria, because the mitochondria would have stopped the oxygen being toxic to the eukaryote, hence allowing the eukaryote to become an aerobic cell (by utilising the mitochondria for aerobic respiration).

This website might help you quite a bit, you should give it a read: http://www.nature.com/scitable/topic...ndria-14232356

Specifically, this part explains what you are asking:

This view is linked to the ideas that the mitochondrial endosymbiont was an obligateaerobe, perhaps similar in physiology and lifestyle to modern Rickettsiaspecies; and that the initial benefit of the symbiosis might have been the endosymbiont's ability to detoxify oxygen for the anaerobe host.

I hope this answers your question.

Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by willp93)
Just because the cell respired anaerobically doesn't mean oxygen would kill it...

Oxygen is very reactive and therefore can be toxic to some anaerobic species. It can also interrupt the processes of some enzymes.
willp93
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
Oxygen is very reactive and therefore can be toxic to some anaerobic species. It can also interrupt the processes of some enzymes.
thanks for that random bit of info, but its not really relevant. oxygen is not toxic to all anaerobic cells...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads