Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Posted on TheStudentRoom
Iridann
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by STUDYREVISE)
So I am planning to do an AS level which my school has advised me to do.
However, my teacher left and the new teacher is only qualified enough to teach GCSE, not AS.
There is a college near by that does this subject.
How can I do this AS? I am sure that I do not need to be taught anything for it.
What AS is it that you were advised to do?

If you wanted to sit an exam that the subject isn't taught at your school you would normally go to your exams office and ask about sitting an exam/module and the exam will cost you money as far as I'm aware.
STUDYREVISE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Posted on TheStudentRoom
Iridann
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French
Hmm that one might be a bit awkward because of the oral exam.

I would assume you might have to talk to the head of the French department and see if they would be able to provide the opportunity for you to take the oral exam. You would also need to pick an appropriate exam board and then talk to your examinations officer about sitting the relevant exams for the course.
Blues Clues
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French
I'd say definitely go to a collage for that. It takes up a *lot* of time and you can't really self-teach it the same way you can if you did say, Maths.
Iridann
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blues Clues)
I'd say definitely go to a collage for that. It takes up a *lot* of time and you can't really self-teach it the same way you can if you did say, Maths.
Well you can actually.
It depends on if they already speak French.

I had someone at my school who sat GCSE French in year 9 and got an A* as he was natively French.
The OP is implying that they already know the content needed as "they don't need to be taught anything"
Blues Clues
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Iridann)
Well you can actually.
It depends on if they already speak French.

I had someone at my school who sat GCSE French in year 9 and got an A* as he was natively French.
The OP is implying that they already know the content needed as "they don't need to be taught anything"
That's true. But for AS French, unless they're as fluent as someone who has lived in France in both speaking and writing then they'd need to do at least some work. Talking about same-sex parenting, single-parenting, smoking, reality TV ... not exactly the kind of stuff most people would know from speaking their language at home; I certainly wouldn't in my own language, and my friend who speaks French at home only got a B at AS after an A* at GCSE.
Iridann
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blues Clues)
That's true. But for AS French, unless they're as fluent as someone who has lived in France in both speaking and writing then they'd need to do at least some work. Talking about same-sex parenting, single-parenting, smoking, reality TV ... not exactly the kind of stuff most people would know from speaking their language at home; I certainly wouldn't in my own language, and my friend who speaks French at home only got a B at AS after an A* at GCSE.
Fair enough, I guess it depends on the environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads