Original post by Yeah dude
Not as common as a magikarp but not as rare as a wild blastoise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, nice analogy :lol:

Original post by karmacrunch
You never fail to confuse me. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you not know Pokémon? D:
It's not rare. At my sixth form (even though girls are outnumbered- 50 girls and 130 guys in the year), there is still a 2:3 ratio of girls to boys in my AS physics class.
I like physics, but I went to the dark side and now I maths at uni...
Women are pretty misrepresented in academia generally. Some male academics, especially elderly ones at places like Oxford and Cambridge, can be discouraging and patronizing towards female students looking to pursue academic careers and even to established female academics. Definitely something that needs serious improvement across the board.
Reply 25
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
I don't think that comparing Physics to textiles and childcare is really appropriate in this context. I'm not accusing you of anything but that stereotype is probably one of the things that discourages them to pursue their desired subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it not appropriate? I'm not stereotyping, I'm just talking from my personal experience. I realise things may be different at different schools.
Reply 26
I'm a girl who wants to do physics at uni. :smile: :smile: I don't think we are that "rare" xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a girl who's applying to study for Physics at university..

I guess we're "rare" because as kids guys are given robots and guns and planes and cars and toys like that but girls are given dolls and tea sets and makeup kits..

Idk about the rest of the world but in India parents generally tend to bring up boys assuming they'll be engineers and bring up girls assuming they'll be doctors or something..in India parents just assume girls won't be studying Physics at university..

And I think that upbringing sure makes a difference.

This is obviously just one point out of many, but that doesn't mean that a lot of girls dont do physics. Look at Lisa Randall, Eva Silverstein, Renata Kallosh, Kalpana Chawla...obviously the difference isn't in the intellectual ability, its probably in the upbringing and the fact that more boys are encouraged to do physics than girls. Because even I had to face a lot of opposition before my parents allowed me to apply for physics at universities (the back-up plan was listtening to them and being forced to do an MBA).
Reply 28
Original post by rayquaza17
I like physics, but I went to the dark side and now I maths at uni...

Noooooooooo..! :tongue:
Haha, isnt that harder tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Huyan
Noooooooooo..! :tongue:
Haha, isnt that harder tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I would say that's subjective. I think they're the same difficulty.
Reply 30
Original post by Viceroy
Women are pretty misrepresented in academia generally. Some male academics, especially elderly ones at places like Oxford and Cambridge, can be discouraging and patronizing towards female students looking to pursue academic careers and even to established female academics. Definitely something that needs serious improvement across the board.

That's a bit scary, given that I'm a girl applying to study Physics & Philosophy at Oxford and I'm aiming to go for a PhD sometime later..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Huyan
That's a bit scary, given that I'm a girl applying to study Physics & Philosophy at Oxford and I'm aiming to go for a PhD sometime later..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't let me put you off! That's the exact opposite of what I would want! Be wary of some of the rather elderly fellows (some of them can be a bit sexist and elitist), but of course it's wrong to generalize: the vast majority of Oxford and Cambridge fellows (old chaps or not) are lovely people who I'm sure would be great to work with.

You'll be terrific! :smile:
At my college, the boys doing Physics definitely outnumber the girls, whilst I think there are a lot more girls than boys who do Biology.
It was true for my family - my brothers, father, grandfather and 3 of my mother's brothers are engineers or have physics related jobs, whereas my Mother and I both hated Physics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My class is 3:1

Boy:girl

And my year is like

1:4 or 1:3
Reply 34
Original post by Viceroy
Don't let me put you off! That's the exact opposite of what I would want! Be wary of some of the rather elderly fellows (some of them can be a bit sexist and elitist), but of course it's wrong to generalize: the vast majority of Oxford and Cambridge fellows (old chaps or not) are lovely people who I'm sure would be great to work with.

You'll be terrific! :smile:

Thank you!
I knew when I was taking Physics that I would have to fight for it and show people what I'm worth, but don't worry..its not easy to put people off their life goals after they have decided on them :smile:

Thank you for your support though! :biggrin:
I know a few, but nah I don't think there are that many.
I like physics, not as much as I like maths though, which is probably why im doing engineering and I'm female. But yeah, we are kind of rare, my degree is like 1:7 female to male :/
I would say that the physics classes at my school are minority girls but that doesn't mean girls who like physics are a "rare species" lol. I know so many girls who like physics - it's not just guys who do.
Not rare...many girls do Physics...i was going to do it as well but then i thought "Nah it ain't gonna help for what I wanna be". :s-smilie:
Original post by KittyRe-play
Not rare...many girls do Physics...i was going to do it as well but then i thought "Nah it ain't gonna help for what I wanna be". :s-smilie:

Let me guess Medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest