The Student Room Group

Vector question

Points B and C have position vectors b and c respectively relative to the origin A, and A,B,C are not collinear.

i): Point X has position vector sb+tc. Describe the locus of X when s+t=1.
ii): The point P has position vector βb+γc\beta b + \gamma c where beta and gamma are non zero and beta + gamma is not equal to 1. The line AP cuts the line BC at D. Show that BD: DC = γ:β \gamma: \beta

I've done a sketch for i). Not really too sure how to proceed now. From the sketch then we can see that X passes through the line segment BC...

For part ii): I know what to do, i.e. find the point of intersection of the vectors AP, and BC, and this will give me the coordinates of D. But then I'm not sure what to do.
Original post by maths learner

A point on the line AP will have position vector k(βb+γc)k(\beta b + \gamma c ) for some k.

If you want it to be on BC as well, you need the sum of the two multipliers to be 1.

Now try and get an equation involving k, and hence find its value and hence the position vector of D.
Original post by ghostwalker
A point on the line AP will have position vector k(βb+γc)k(\beta b + \gamma c ) for some k.

If you want it to be on BC as well, you need the sum of the two multipliers to be 1.

Now try and get an equation involving k, and hence find its value and hence the position vector of D.

For part ii): I did the following: AP=
Unparseable latex formula:

t\betab+t\gammac

BC= b+μ(cb) b +\mu(c-b) . Intersect when: (1μ)b+μc=tβb+tγc (1-\mu)b+ \mu c=t \beta b+t \gamma c . Solving gives t=1β+γ t=\frac{1}{\beta + \gamma} . So the point of intersection is at: ββ+γ+γβ+γ \frac{\beta}{\beta + \gamma} + \frac{\gamma}{\beta + \gamma} . But then how do i calcualte the ratio between the two lines...
For part ii): I did the following: AP=
Unparseable latex formula:

t\betab+t\gammac

BC= b+μ(cb) b +\mu(c-b) . Intersect when: (1μ)b+μc=tβb+tγc (1-\mu)b+ \mu c=t \beta b+t \gamma c . Solving gives t=1β+γ t=\frac{1}{\beta + \gamma} . So the point of intersection is at: ββ+γ+γβ+γ \frac{\beta}{\beta + \gamma} + \frac{\gamma}{\beta + \gamma} . But then how do i calcualte the ratio between the two lines...

Well what are BD and DC?

PS: You need a space after "\beta", etc. in your LaTex.
Well what are BD and DC?

PS: You need a space after "\beta", etc. in your LaTex.

so BD would be: b+(βbβ+γ+γcβ+γb) b+ (\frac{\beta b}{\beta + \gamma}+ \frac{\gamma c}{\beta + \gamma} - b)

DC is: βbβ+γ+γcβ+γ+(cβbβ+γ+γcβ+γ) \frac{\beta b}{\beta + \gamma} + \frac{\gamma c}{\beta + \gamma} + (c-\frac{\beta b}{\beta + \gamma} + \frac{\gamma c}{\beta + \gamma}) .

which once simplified I'm assuming will cancel down to just γcβb \frac{\gamma c}{\beta b} ?. Was my part i) of the question correct, and if so, what is the significance of t+s=1...? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to fully understand.

Just realised with DC the terms in the bracket should be the other way around.
(edited 9 years ago)
so BD would be: b+(βbβ+γ+γcβ+γb) b+ (\frac{\beta b}{\beta + \gamma}+ \frac{\gamma c}{\beta + \gamma} - b)

DC is: βbβ+γ+γcβ+γ+(cβbβ+γ+γcβ+γ) \frac{\beta b}{\beta + \gamma} + \frac{\gamma c}{\beta + \gamma} + (c-\frac{\beta b}{\beta + \gamma} + \frac{\gamma c}{\beta + \gamma}) .

BD is AD - AB, i.e. the position vector for D minus the position vector for B.

You seem to have an extra "b+" at the front.

Similar problem with DC.

which once simplified I'm assuming will cancel down to just γcβb \frac{\gamma c}{\beta b} ?.

Don't think so. See what you get.

Was my part i) of the question correct, and if so, what is the significance of t+s=1...? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to fully understand.

Just noticed the image for part i). The locus is a straight line from B to C extending either side.

Similar problem with DC.

Just noticed the image for part i). The locus is a straight line from B to C extending either side.

Yeah, way I drew my diagram on paper was dodgy. I'll retry that now. Can you explain why the locus is a straight line from B to C... I thought it would just pass through the line segment BC. I'm confused :/.

Similar problem with DC.

I got the ratio.
Yeah, way I drew my diagram on paper was dodgy. I'll retry that now. Can you explain why the locus is a straight line from B to C... I thought it would just pass through the line segment BC. I'm confused :/.

x= sa+tb

But s+t=1, so t=1-s

Thus x=sa+(1-s)b)

= b +(a-b)s

Which is he equation of a line. If s=0 we have b, if s=1 we have a, and thus it's a line through A and B.
x= sa+tb

But s+t=1, so t=1-s

Thus x=sa+(1-s)b)

= b +(a-b)s

Which is he equation of a line. If s=0 we have b, if s=1 we have a, and thus it's a line through A and B.

Tried to rep you but it won't let me. I get it now thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest