The Student Room Group

College Or Sixth Form?

Hi! I'm trying to make a decision, on whether to go to college or sixth form, as both have their pros and cons! If anyone has any on the matter, i'd be happy to hear it!

COLLEGE

Pros: Cons:
-More independence - Have two hours travel a day (1 hour each
-All the subjects i want to take are on the way)
same pathway. -I don't know any of the people/staff there
-98% pass rate

SIXTH FORM

Pros Cons:
-Close to my house - Not as high pass rate
-I know everyone at the school - Uniform
-Most of the subjects i want to do - Less independence
are on the same pathways

Thanks in Advance! :smile:
Reply 1
Disregard not knowing the staff or students - that's life. Either go forth and accept it now, or you'll have to accept it if you ever want to go to university, or get a job. As long as you don't act like a complete hermit then you'll make friends, and you'll get to know the teachers. It's not something to worry about :smile:

Do you want more independence? I'm guessing as you stuck it up there as the first pro i'm assuming yes. The main consideration I would be looking at is: are you prepared to commute that everyday? It can get tiring, and suck it out of you. I'd say an hour is probably at the upper limit of what i'd consider to be acceptable at this stage, but it's entirely up to you.

Pass rates - to be taken with a pinch of salt. Consider where the passes are coming from and how good the passes are. Unless the local one is dire I wouldn't be overly concerned. Fails look a lot worse in a smaller sample size, so if the sizes of the two places differ then it's just worth considering.

I went to a college, and really wouldn't want to be stuck in a school atmosphere. I think the independence was what I needed to stop me going insane. I have no idea what you mean by pathways... is there a subject you can't take at the school, or does it just make for an awkward timetable?
I personally think college would be a better chocie, that's if you like having a lot of independence and being treated like an adult.
Reply 3
College, I believe that it is a different yet better atmosphere, it encourages independence and builds confidence. Also you are treated in a more adult way, and it's a fresh new start compared to how you were 5 years ago at the start of high school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Nymthae
Disregard not knowing the staff or students - that's life. Either go forth and accept it now, or you'll have to accept it if you ever want to go to university, or get a job. As long as you don't act like a complete hermit then you'll make friends, and you'll get to know the teachers. It's not something to worry about :smile:

Do you want more independence? I'm guessing as you stuck it up there as the first pro i'm assuming yes. The main consideration I would be looking at is: are you prepared to commute that everyday? It can get tiring, and suck it out of you. I'd say an hour is probably at the upper limit of what i'd consider to be acceptable at this stage, but it's entirely up to you.

Pass rates - to be taken with a pinch of salt. Consider where the passes are coming from and how good the passes are. Unless the local one is dire I wouldn't be overly concerned. Fails look a lot worse in a smaller sample size, so if the sizes of the two places differ then it's just worth considering.

I went to a college, and really wouldn't want to be stuck in a school atmosphere. I think the independence was what I needed to stop me going insane. I have no idea what you mean by pathways... is there a subject you can't take at the school, or does it just make for an awkward timetable?

Thank you, this helped ALOT! Pathways indicate which subjects you can take in correspondence with each other. If the subjects are in different pathways, you can't take both together :smile:
Reply 5
I was completely against going to College and only thought of Sixth Form as my only option and I really hate going to Sixth Form, I feel Sixth Form is a lot more pressured and when you're in the same place as you did your GCSEs and with the same teachers you expect them to act the same so its a big shock when they don't!
I'd defiantly say college as I wish id gone there :frown:
Reply 6
I was going to say college but tbh if I were you, the 1 hour each way journey would probably put me off. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people at my college travel that far, but if I had the choice I would not go somewhere that far away. Other than that, though, I'd definitely choose college over sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest