Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Swiss solicitor (mother language : french and spanish ; other languages spoken : english, german and italian) looking to spend a six month period in UK, if possible in London, in a british law firm. Salary is definitely the key factor, since I perfectly know that foreign interns would not get paid.

As it seems almost impossible to find something on my own, I would like to know whether some of you would have some clues in order to help me getting into one of those law firms.

Thanks a lot,

LNA

ReputationRep:
    Question one: can you afford to spend six months in London without getting paid!? I'd estimate you'd need over £10,000 - maybe well over - to cover it!

ReputationRep:
    Well, as it seems almost impossible to find something paid, I think I'd rather be realistic, no ?

I'll try to share a flat with other persons and not to spend too much money, the key question remaining the job...

So, if you have some interesting ideas, do not hesitate...

Thanks,

LNA

ReputationRep:
    Try sending a few letters to law firms including your skills, qualifications, why you want the 6 month internship etc.

It's very difficult not to spend money in London, it might be worth considering a different city.

Also get hold of the 'training contract and pupilage handbook', as you are already qualified most of the information will not be relevant but it has lots of useful addresses in it. ISBN 0-9533255-6-3 ISSN 1461 - 9253or tel +44 7234 0606

Finally if you are not going to be paid by the law firm consider alternative work. With your languages you could obviusly teach, perhaps private language tuition in the evening would fund you.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, I would be satisfied if I could find a job in London (or elsewhere in UK) in a non legal company, as it seems very difficult to find a job in a legal field.

I've been looking for summer jobs or six month vacancies on the net, but I did not find anything. Does somebody have clues ?

Cheers,

LNA

ReputationRep:
    www.lawcareers.net might be able to help.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.