The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

A2B Scheme for Medicine

Hi guys, I know to be eligible for the A2B scheme you need to have a minimum of GCSEs with at least 3 at grade A, including 2 As from Maths, English or Science, and B's in the other subjects; however, I don't have those grades because I have extenuating circumstances. Can I still apply, because I do fit the non-academic criteria for the scheme?
Original post by Aleenaa
Hi guys, I know to be eligible for the A2B scheme you need to have a minimum of GCSEs with at least 3 at grade A, including 2 As from Maths, English or Science, and B's in the other subjects; however, I don't have those grades because I have extenuating circumstances. Can I still apply, because I do fit the non-academic criteria for the scheme?

hi, you should ring up and ask but I doubt it seeing as there's a reason those minimums are in place AND they are part of the criterion as well as the non academic.

Definitely check though! Good luck :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by tr3sbelle
hi, you should ring up and ask but I doubt it seeing as there's a reason those minimums are in place AND they are part of the criterion as well as the non academic.

Definitely check though! Good luck :smile:

Thank youuu!
Original post by Aleenaa
Thank youuu!

did you end up checking? No problem!
Reply 4
did you end up checking? No problem!

Well I've asked my head of year to check for me and she said it should be fine and I shouldn't worry about it now, but I am still worried so I am going to ask her to ring up and confirm for me to give me some reassurance haha :smile:
Original post by Aleenaa
Well I've asked my head of year to check for me and she said it should be fine and I shouldn't worry about it now, but I am still worried so I am going to ask her to ring up and confirm for me to give me some reassurance haha :smile:

Fair enough! Med at Birmingham is just perfect! Is it your first choice or have you applied elsewhere too? :smile:
Reply 6
Fair enough! Med at Birmingham is just perfect! Is it your first choice or have you applied elsewhere too? :smile:

I haven't applied yet as I am in year 12, but it will definitely be my first choice!

What are you doing currently?
Original post by Aleenaa
I haven't applied yet as I am in year 12, but it will definitely be my first choice!

What are you doing currently?

I'm in year 13. Studying bio, chem and French :smile: hopeful medic !
Reply 8
I'm in year 13. Studying bio, chem and French :smile: hopeful medic !

Awwww I hope so too!

What did you get for AS and where did you apply?
I'm so paranoid over these criteria, especially my GCSEs. I have achieved the minimum of 3As with at least 2 of them being in English and one of my Sciences, but I feel very insecure with this, considering how I'm at the bottom end of the spectrum for applicants in this scheme. With the rejection previously for the Routes to Profession programme for Medicine, I have the fear that I may be rejected once again as I have applied for the same course.

My predicted A Level grades are BBB for the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Reply 10
Original post by AcademicDope
I'm so paranoid over these criteria, especially my GCSEs. I have achieved the minimum of 3As with at least 2 of them being in English and one of my Sciences, but I feel very insecure with this, considering how I'm at the bottom end of the spectrum for applicants in this scheme. With the rejection previously for the Routes to Profession programme for Medicine, I have the fear that I may be rejected once again as I have applied for the same course.

My predicted A Level grades are BBB for the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics.

Hey, so I also did get rejected for the Routes to the Profession programme for Medicine, but my head of year wrote a letter for me, explaining my extenuating circumstances and using my predicted GCSE grades (which arent that great), but I eventually did manage to get in.. So if I did, you can too! Maybe not for Routes to the Professions but definitely for A2B.

Also, if you are insecure about your GCSE's then you should apply to Uni's such as Durham "who dont even look at them"

Don't stress. Just ace this last 1 and a half year! <3
I honestly would have done a lot better and worried less if the Grade Boundaries for GCSE 2014 weren't so bad. 2 of my Bs were 1-2 marks off an A Grade.

Your words do bring a sense of encouragement in the sense that not all hope is lost, and so, I'll continue to work hard throughout these next two excruciating years.

As for other universities, my preference is to stay local, so unless I meet the Grade requirements for this university (I'm not exactly interested in other universities around or in Birmingham), the probability of me moving out is very high. I just don't want to burden my mother for accommodation costs which is why I'd really like to seize the opportunity of living at home.
Update: My application for the A2B scheme was accepted!
Reply 13
Original post by academicdope
update: My application for the a2b scheme was accepted!

omg i'm sooooooo happy for you :smile:
It's relieving the anxiety a little now, and it provides a great deal of motivation to continue working extremely hard.
Original post by AcademicDope

Did they send you a letter or email to say you had been rejected? I applied but not sure when or how they will get back to me.

Quick Reply

Latest