Turn on thread page Beta

Humans would achieve so much more without war, religion and politics watch

ReputationRep:
    Just think about all the time and money that could be invested into medical, scientific and technological development but for war, religion and politics.

If war, religion and petty political disputes had been removed 100 years ago, just think about how more advanced we would be compared with now.

We are our own enemies.

ReputationRep:
    Surely without Politics it would just be anarchy with everyone running around doing what they wanted to do?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but I don't care for the money, why can't we just expand as a race and make love not war?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Politics is necessary to mediate disputes and solve problems that arise from human nature, and just nature in general. War is the name of a particular class of such disputes. Of course. If we could eradicate Politics and the problems it attempts to solve, the world would be a better place. But the issue is that Politics is the solution, not the cause.

Religion I would agree with though, it's just a massive ball-ache for everyone really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Politics is necessary to mediate disputes and solve problems that arise from human nature, and just nature in general. War is the name of a particular class of such disputes. Of course. If we could eradicate Politics and the problems it attempts to solve, the world would be a better place. But the issue is that Politics is the solution, not the cause.

Religion I would agree with though, it's just a massive ball-ache for everyone really.
    Yo screw politics and media, id rather hang out with my hippie surfer friends than some dudes in a suit talking about miley cyrus twerking and the effects of it all day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah dude)
    Yo screw politics and media, id rather hang out with my hippie surfer friends than some dudes in a suit talking about miley cyrus twerking and the effects of it all day

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that a joke? I don't think I've ever watched that channel...

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but I don't care for the money, why can't we just expand as a race and make love not war?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because (in my opinion) we've gone way, way past the point where we can exist on this planet with our current life-style without some kind of structure in place to order our society.

(Original post by MattBerry96)
    Surely without Politics it would just be anarchy with everyone running around doing what they wanted to do?

Because of this. Fact is without a way of organising society there just aren't enough resources to go around to keep people living the live's they're accustomed to. It would've been possible say...10, 20,000 years ago when the only people around were hunter-gatherers I think, but now, despite it's flaws (and there are a great many in my view), we need a system of politics in place to keep ourselves going.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is modern world society.
    Changes are irreversible.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a joke? I don't think I've ever watched that channel...
    What are you talking about dude

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about dude

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The TV channel where men in suits speak about Miley Cyrus twerking all day...

ReputationRep:
    The TV channel where men in suits speak about Miley Cyrus twerking all day...
    It's not a Channel I made it up as that's how I imagine politicianali to be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not a Channel I made it up as that's how I imagine politicianali to be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, its utter BS.

It's entirely ridiculous to reject Politics because you'd rather hang out with friends than be exposed to a situation which obviously doesn't exist. It might be comforting to think that politics is all BS or whatever, as an excuse to ignore it, but it isn't right.

ReputationRep:
    Well, its utter BS.

It's entirely ridiculous to reject Politics because you'd rather hang out with friends than be exposed to a situation which obviously doesn't exist. It might be comforting to think that politics is all BS or whatever, as an excuse to ignore it, but it isn't right.
    No dude, mellow out abit, it's just not my scene, I don't ignore them its just not my area so I don't follow politics unless it's real important, plus I'm not hurting anyone by hanging out with friends...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Just think about all the time and money that could be invested into medical, scientific and technological development but for war, religion and politics.

If war, religion and petty political disputes had been removed 100 years ago, just think about how more advanced we would be compared with now.

We are our own enemies.
    Arguably we would be nowhere near as advanced were it not for conflict.

Certainly, aerospace technology, satellite technology, nuclear power would be nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    Humans could achieve so much more without war/religion/politics, yes. Will they though? No. Simply because human nature doesn't let us all get along and be happy; humans are selfish creatures, and at sometime in the future, we will probably be our own downfall too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)

We are our own enemies.
    Historically, war has been associated with massive leaps in medical knowledge and technology.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well then it's a mystery why you replied to my post in what seemed like an outright rejection of politics then.

(Original post by aoxa)
    Humans could achieve so much more without war/religion/politics, yes. Will they though? No. Simply because human nature doesn't let us all get along and be happy; humans are selfish creatures, and at sometime in the future, we will probably be our own downfall too.
    If human nature necessitates conflict between individuals, then it is obviously false that 'Humans could achieve so much more without war/religion/politics', as these (the former and latter at least) are simply tools to resolve this necessary conflict.

Unless you mean 'Humans could achieve so much more if they didn't need war/religion/politics', but all that is to say is that humans could achieve more without conflict; that's obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    Such rubbish.

Without war and politics we'd be backward, indolent cretins.

Religion, I am pretty sure is utterly irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Well then it's a mystery why you replied to my post in what seemed like an outright rejection of politics then.

If human nature necessitates conflict between individuals, then it is obviously false that 'Humans could achieve so much more without war/religion/politics', as these (the former and latter at least) are simply tools to resolve this necessary conflict.

Unless you mean 'Humans could achieve so much more if they didn't need war/religion/politics', but all that is to say is that humans could achieve more without conflict; that's obvious.
    So what if I do reject politics, am I hurting anyone if I didn't vote Obama or Romney?

ReputationRep:

I don't think you understood my point - I was getting at the fact that if humans could live in peace, without war/religion/politics, you're taking away that aspect of human nature - conflict. This would enable everyone to live in a nice, happy, safe society. And we would inevitably be able to achieve more.

However, humans wouldn't be human without human nature - both the good and bad sides of - and as thus, this whole debate is kind of pointless, because we can't remove human nature from ourselves.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2014
Poll
Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.