Will Oxbridge accept these GCSE Grades? Watch

Asclepius TSR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just wondering if this meets the minimum GCSES requirement for Oxbridge - here are my grades:

Chinese - A*
English language GCSE - A
English Language - iGCSE - A
Science core - A
Science additional - A
Art - B
Maths - C (hopefully pushing it up to a B - A*)
History - B
Psychology - C
ICT - C
YounesB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
they are decent grades but focus on A levels more - GCSE's are important but not as much as A levels.
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cambridge don't usually consider GCSE's as a major factor in your application (not sure about oxford). They are much more bothered about your AS results, it also depends on the course you want to do. Courses like medicine are so competitive that I think they have to look at GCSE's.
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Almost certainly not for Oxford, Cambridge are more likely to accept them but only with stellar AS grades.
Asclepius TSR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate everyone's input! If it helps, I'm planning on going into Computer Science
SuperiorGenius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You got a C in GCSE maths and you want to go to Oxbridge? Just focus on passing A levels bro.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's probably technically possible for you to get into Oxford or Cambridge (more like the latter since Oxford are more picky about GCSEs) with those grades but it's incredibly unlikely. Not so much because you'll be rejected because of them, but more because the kind of student getting those kinds of GCSE grades is probably not the kind of student they're looking for.

The fact that you got a C in Maths and you're applying for Computer Science however makes me think that your chance is virtually nil. Computer Science is basically just maths - virtually everyone applying will have A*s in GCSE Maths and close to full marks in A Level Maths and likely Further Maths.
Mindless Behavior
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're quite low for Oxbridge but with very high UMS at AS you may have a shot at Cambridge. Every other aspect of your application would probably need to be perfect as well, so it will be an uphill struggle.
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only problem is your maths
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What about Cambridge, Bristol, Southampton, Durham or Imperial OP?
As others have stated above ^ Focus on getting straight As in your A Levels, they are associated with great importance.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think people are being a bit optimistic here... Oxford is probably off the cards given the GCSE results and is someone who got a C in GCSE Maths going to get the 95%+ UMS average that Cambridge will expect for Computer Science, quite possibly higher since people who take A Level Maths tend to get higher UMS? I'm not saying it's impossible... but a lot more improbably than a lot of people are making out. If you do somehow manage to get that kind of UMS at AS then fine, but I can't see how that's going to happen.
zk11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is there a difference in the way Oxford look at IGCSE results in comparison with GCSE results?
Because at my school, they only offered a max of 9 IGCSEs. Apparently, GCSEs are easier? Do Oxbridge take this into consideration? Thanks!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zk11)
Is there a difference in the way Oxford look at IGCSE results in comparison with GCSE results?
Because at my school, they only offered a max of 9 IGCSEs. Apparently, GCSEs are easier? Do Oxbridge take this into consideration? Thanks!
Oxford will view GCSEs as exactly the same as IGCSEs. I really think people exaggerate the relative difficulty of IGCSEs. And it's quality rather than quantity that matters. The fact that you took 9 IGCSEs isn't a problem, what matters is what those grades were.
zk11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Oxford will view GCSEs as exactly the same as IGCSEs. I really think people exaggerate the relative difficulty of IGCSEs. And it's quality rather than quantity that matters. The fact that you took 9 IGCSEs isn't a problem, what matters is what those grades were.
IGCSE: 6 A*s and 3As. Could you advise where these results sit compared to the average? Thank you!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zk11)
IGCSE: 6 A*s and 3As. Could you advise where these results sit compared to the average? Thank you!
I don't have the complete statistics but from the statistics I have seen, that looks slightly lower than average. I'm guessing the average is around 7-10 A*s, but I'm basing this off the statistics from two courses only. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in that range though.

Again though, below-average GCSEs does not mean you can't get in.
Its_Tito
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Watch Jake Wright on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jaketvee

He did alright at GCSE level and got pretty good A Levels and now he studies Computer Science at Cambridge. His channel is about the whole application process, interviews and grades etc as well as revision and how to stay on track. He also vlogs his weekly like as a Cambridge Compsi and I think it'll help you with knowing how to get there as well as what your life could be like.

Good Luck well done for your grades though! Maybe just try working harder on Maths because that's a large part of your course.
username1530463
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Asclepius TSR)
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate everyone's input! If it helps, I'm planning on going into Computer Science
If you are doing GCSE Further Maths, you have to get at least an A to get to do A Level Maths for Computer Science at Oxbridge. Otherwise, you are really unlikely to do A Level Maths for Computer Science at Oxbridge.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just wondering if this meets the minimum GCSES requirement for Oxbridge - here are my grades:

Before you worry about Oxbridge, I'd focus on sorting your Maths out. If you want a shot at computer science at a decent university then you really ought to take maths and further maths A levels. If you don't improve your likely GCSe maths grade then you won't be able to do A level Maths and then you will struggle to be accepted for Computer Science anywhere. Many 6th forms require a B or even an A at GCSE maths in order to take A level Maths, and some places require at A* to take Further maths.
MathsNerd1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Chinese - A*
English language GCSE - A
English Language - iGCSE - A
Science core - A
Science additional - A
Art - B
History - B
Psychology - C
ICT - C
Moved to Oxbridge section
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maths is the problem really. If you can completely turn your maths around, then you'd probably have a chance. Cambridge expect Maths and often prefer you to have further maths too at A level. Computer Science is a lot more mathematical than you might think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (546)
59.48%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (130)
14.16%

Watched Threads