Whats the difference between English language and literature? Watch

rustytap
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
currently in year 11 studying for my gcses, want to go down the journalism/media route. so will probably do english at a level. so what is the difference? i like commenting on anthology's and explaining why the writer did something, but i also like creative writing :cool:
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rustytap)
currently in year 11 studying for my gcses, want to go down the journalism/media route. so will probably do english at a level. so what is the difference? i like commenting on anthology's and explaining why the writer did something, but i also like creative writing :cool:
You've just stated the differences there
English Literature is commenting on anthologies and explaining why the writer did something.
English Language is creative writing.

That's the basics, but there's a bit more to them at A Level.
My English Lit course is made up of poetry, prose and drama, and commenting on each.
My English Language is broken into spoken and written language, with the spoken concentrating on why we say things and theorists (i.e what we say that makes things polite, why we're polite, functions on conversation etc) although there's no actual speaking elements involved. Written is a lot about grammar as well as creative writing.

I think for journalism, language would be better
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rustytap)
English Literature is all about figuring out the writer's intention of meaning through looking at language, form and structure in literature.

English Language is all about the ways in which we use language for different types of purposes. For instance, written, spoken, electronic and multimodal language.

If you enjoy some elements from both English Language and English Literature then you should take both and see how you get on. If not, then see if you can study the combined English A-level instead.

You say you want to go into Journalism, then English Language is probably the best fit for you. However, believe it or not, a lot of Journalist do have degrees in English Literature, Philosophy and History. I wouldn't say English Language degree would put you at an advantage when trying to find a career in journalism than an English Literature degree to be honest. A lot of journalist companies and whatnot like someone to have experience as well.

I think you should pick both of them and see how you get on or pick the combined A-level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads