acutemed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I would really like to get a small tablet with a stylus for taking notes and reading PDFs whilst on the go, ideally a maximum of approx 6 inch in size.

Now I appreciate this is quite small as far as tablets are concerned and so far the only devices that I have seen fit my criteria are the Galaxy Note phones. My other issue is that I don't have a need for the "phone" features as I have an excellent iPhone 5S which is locked into contract for the next year.

So... I have a couple of questions. I was wondering if anyone could advise on any alternatives to the Galaxy Note that match my criteria? And secondly, if Galaxy Note is the ideal one for me, is the potential monetary saving in getting a 3 (or the 3 Neo) something I will regret later due to software updates etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only other 6 inch device I think works with a stylus in the Kindle Fire HD6
acutemed
Rep:
?
Thank you for the suggestion! Have just had a look at the specifications and I think the kindle seems to be compatible with capacitative type stylus, whereas I am ideally hoping to find a tablet with a digitizer-technology stylus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No problem
acutemed
Rep:
?
Does anyone have any views on the Galaxy Note 3 Neo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by acutemed)
I would really like to get a small tablet with a stylus for taking notes and reading PDFs whilst on the go, ideally a maximum of approx 6 inch in size.

Now I appreciate this is quite small as far as tablets are concerned and so far the only devices that I have seen fit my criteria are the Galaxy Note phones. My other issue is that I don't have a need for the "phone" features as I have an excellent iPhone 5S which is locked into contract for the next year.
*You don't find many six inch tablets in the first place, never mind stylus equipped ones. It's the size of a large phone rather than a small tablet if anything, hence why the Note phones are the most suitable things you've found so far.

*You can get styluses that will work for any capacitive display, so basically any smartphone or tablet created in the last seven years. The key differences between this and an actual stylus equipped device will be the lack of digitiser or similar tech specifically added for recognising the stylus and offering a much better experience, and the lack of stylus oriented software which is typically proprietary for the device or product line, like Samsung's S software on their Note line. Whether or not the hundreds a phone/tablets costs is worth it to you over a stylus for a fiver off Amazon is down to you to decide.

*The closest thing to what you're looking for is the Nvidia Shield Tablet, a 7" tablet with stylus. It's very powerful for an Android device, the stylus is well implemented and it's actually fairly cheap, but it's quite chunky so it's not slipping in a rear jeans pocket if that was your plan.

(Original post by acutemed)
Does anyone have any views on the Galaxy Note 3 Neo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Note 3 Neo is basically the Note 3 but worse- 720p vs 1080p display (a noticeable difference on screens this size), inferior specs, worse camera, generally an inferior phone.
acutemed
Rep:
?
Thanks for this. The reason I wanted a stylus was to make written notes. My prior experience with the capacitative stylii for iPad and iPhone has been poor - have found them lacking precision and, from my understanding, the smaller ones cause damage to the screen!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads