Childrens or Adult nursing courses? Watch

LoisM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So, I am applying to study nursing this year, and I have researched the universities a little, but feel that at the moment I like Edinburgh, York, Leeds, Liverpool and Brighton. In the end, i think i want to be a paediatric nurse, actually i am pretty certain. My issue i that some uni's separate the courses into "adult nursing", "childrens nursing" and "mental health". There is a part of me that instantly want to go for the childrens nursing, but is that too restricting, what if there are no childrens nurse positions availiable when i leave uni? surely adult nurse positions are more sought after. But if i do the adult course and then train for a further 18 months to become a childrens nurse, i will have both under my belt, but it mean i have to spend 3 years treating adults when all i really want to do is work with children.

so, my question is, what do you think i should do? Adult nursing and then do further training, or go all in and do childrens nursing ?
Also if you have any other suggestions regarding good nursing universities or reasons why i should avoid the ones i mentioned above, i would be very grateful!
thank you!
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP needs to go back and do some basic research on the structure of the Profession in the UK / EU and why the branch system exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muggins95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't worry so much about making yourself employable because of whatever degree you took, what will provide you with a satisfying career in the long run? If you look at the statistics, most nursing students are employed quickly. Why do you want to nurse children rather than adults?
YogaQueen
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can do children's nursing and then do a top up in adult or even midwifery, if you really want to. I am doing adult then will top up in children's as I want to work with adolescents, which is inbetween really.
Take a look at Southampton uni they do 2 of the 3 combined.
And there's also special needs/ disability nursing x
ScottMcCall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The NHS only funds enough places that they think there will be jobs for. So you really need to decide which branch you like the most rather than worry about the amount of jobs.

If you successfully graduate a nursing degree in any branch and are not entirely awful about applying for jobs/interviewing you WILL get a job somewhere, might not be your dream job but you will be employed.

There is many reasons why they split branches, as a student mental health nurse I share modules with adult and child student nurses, but we all have our specific branch modules where we do very different stuff. We are training for different areas of nursing after all.
ScottMcCall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by YogaQueen)
You can do children's nursing and then do a top up in adult or even midwifery, if you really want to. I am doing adult then will top up in children's as I want to work with adolescents, which is inbetween really.
Take a look at Southampton uni they do 2 of the 3 combined.
And there's also special needs/ disability nursing x
Only adult nurses can do the midwifery conversion course. Childrens nurses look after children, as midwifery is based around the mother, adult is seen as more appropriate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (404)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (483)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (252)
11.59%

Watched Threads