Report Thread starter 4 years ago
You are religious!

Discuss.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
...and it would also make you naive about the universe in my honest opinion - using mythological personifications to explain scientific questions/phenomena was/is the kind of reasoning that either pre-scientific cultures, or children, use.
nohomo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
...and it would also make you naive about the universe in my honest opinion - using mythological personifications to explain scientific questions/phenomena was/is the kind of reasoning that either pre-scientific cultures, or children, use.
I think you're missing the point.

I'm looking for a discussion on whether believing in god makes you religious
thechriselson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not Religious but am certainly open to the ideas of the various religions, so if I may I'd like to add a question to the conversation. If you believe in god(s), what is it about that religion that inclines you to put your faith in them and why not others?
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nohomo)
I think you're missing the point.

I'm looking for a discussion on whether believing in god makes you religious
well, religion isn't based on philosophy or science, but rather unfounded beliefs based on a blind acceptance of magical claims without evidence, but it is possible to be non-religious yet have a belief in a deity that isn't mythologised I suppose if you can manage to justify its existence through logic, and the deity isn't defined as having personified features (although maybe that's essentially the difference between scientific events/explanations and deities), but nobody's ever managed to do it successfully so far and probably never will
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you believe in God then you need Jebus.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Believing in god doesn't necessarily mean that you believe in any of the religions we have today
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't have to be religious to believe in God. It is perfectly possible to believe in a higher power without actually worshiping this power, or adhering to specific rules, participating in rituals or attaching meaning to related symbolism. I wouldn't call personal faith/belief religious anyway...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (4)
4%
No (96)
96%

Watched Threads