Nikhil G R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is doing an MSc in computer networking in the UK a good option? Is getting a job in the UK after graduation difficult?Following universities are good/bad?

After completing computer Networking MSc from one of the following university, what are the possibilities can i get job in UK because of change in visa rules-

1. Sheffield Hallam university.
-Networking professional MSc

2. Glasgow Caledonian university
-Network Security MSc
or
-Advance computer networking MSc

3. university of Bedfordshire
-computer networking MSc

4. Middlesex university-
computer and network security MSC

5. London Metropolitan university
- Computer networking and security with work experience MSC

6. Kingston univesity.
-Network and information security with management MSc
nerdcake
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nikhil G R)
Is doing an MSc in computer networking in the UK a good option?
It's hard to answer this question without any details of your qualifications or career plans. But in general doing an MSc in an area related to your degree and future career is a good way to increase your employment prospects.

Is getting a job in the UK after graduation difficult?
Yes. Getting a job in the UK is very difficult even for UK graduates, and it will be made more difficult by the fact that you require a visa in order to work here.

Following universities are good/bad?
I'll be honest. The universities you've chosen are not the best universities in the country. For computing and technological subjects the difference between the tiers is less noticable, but some employers judge harshly based on the institution where you studied. Have you considered looking at slightly more general MSc courses in Computer Science rather than Computer Networking? They are offered by more institutions and so you have the chance to apply to a higher tier university which will be better for your CV.

Plenty of people will be along in a minute to shout at me for saying some universities are better than others.

After completing computer Networking MSc from one of the following university, what are the possibilities can i get job in UK because of change in visa rules-
I don't know in detail about the visa rules, sorry. But it is now very difficult for an international student to get a work visa, so I wouldn't pin your hopes on being able to find work here.
Nikhil G R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by nerdcake)
It's hard to answer this question without any details of your qualifications or career plans. But in general doing an MSc in an area related to your degree and future career is a good way to increase your employment prospects.

Yes. Getting a job in the UK is very difficult even for UK graduates, and it will be made more difficult by the fact that you require a visa in order to work here.

I'll be honest. The universities you've chosen are not the best universities in the country. For computing and technological subjects the difference between the tiers is less noticable, but some employers judge harshly based on the institution where you studied. Have you considered looking at slightly more general MSc courses in Computer Science rather than Computer Networking? They are offered by more institutions and so you have the chance to apply to a higher tier university which will be better for your CV.

Plenty of people will be along in a minute to shout at me for saying some universities are better than others.

I don't know in detail about the visa rules, sorry. But it is now very difficult for an international student to get a work visa, so I wouldn't pin your hopes on being able to find work here.
Thank you for your reply. I know universities are not that good what i have applied but i have second class degree(Lower) in computer science, so i choose d those . Can i get an offer from good universities if i apply. I don't know about UK universities because i researched about UK universities in internet and by the help consultancy in my country so.
nerdcake
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nikhil G R)
Thank you for your reply. I know universities are not that good what i have applied but i have second class degree(Lower) in computer science, so i choose d those . Can i get an offer from good universities if i apply. I don't know about UK universities because i researched about UK universities in internet and by the help consultancy in my country so.
I've just replied to your PM. A quick look in UKPASS indicates that Newcastle, Sheffield and Warwick offer the kind of degrees you want with a lower second entry requirement. But you can apply for up to ten courses in UKPASS so you can apply to a range of institutions to maximise your chance of getting a place.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nerdcake)
I've just replied to your PM. A quick look in UKPASS indicates that Newcastle, Sheffield and Warwick offer the kind of degrees you want with a lower second entry requirement. But you can apply for up to ten courses in UKPASS so you can apply to a range of institutions to maximise your chance of getting a place.
It's worth noting that only a minority of UK universities use UKPASS for Masters applications. So you can actually apply for ten courses for which you meet the requirements in UKPASS, and unlimited ones for which you meet the requirements at unis which don't use it.

Although in reality you would be limited to the number of references your referees are prepared to write. I'd think that even ten might be pushing their patience. Remember to agree this in advance with whoever you quote as a referee.
nerdcake
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
It's worth noting that only a minority of UK universities use UKPASS for Masters applications. So you can actually apply for ten courses for which you meet the requirements in UKPASS, and unlimited ones for which you meet the requirements at unis which don't use it.

Although in reality you would be limited to the number of references your referees are prepared to write. I'd think that even ten might be pushing their patience. Remember to agree this in advance with whoever you quote as a referee.
With UKPASS each referee only has to write one reference, even if it's going to be sent to ten universities.
Little Jules
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you should be aware of how difficult it is to work in the uk after graduation. The post-study visa option has now gone, so you'd need to find a company who would sponsor your visa, and that can be very difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sheffield Hallam is the best among the bunch.

Getting a work visa is always tricky, but it's tricker if your degree is from London Metropolitan - they have trouble even with their study visas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads