The Student Room Group

Are my choices realistic?

Hi everyone,

I'm in year 13 and currently going through the process of applying to uni (argh!). I know I want to study Children's nursing but am worried about where realistically to apply. My (I)GCSE results were ok at 3A*'s and 7A's but my AS results were poor, ACCD in Art History, Spanish, Biology and Chemistry respecitvely (with extenuating circumstances of being a young carer which are being mentioned in my reference) I dropped Spanish (C) and continued with Art History (A), Biology (C) and Chemistry (D) which I am predicted A*BB in. My AS results weren't certificated so uni's only know my GCSEs and predictions and both Biology and Chemistry were 2 raw marks off the next grade boundary up.

My uni choices so far are:

Nottingham - MNursSci childrens branch - AAB
Southampton - Adult and Child nursing combined - ABB
Nottingham - BSc Children's nursing - BBB
KCL - BSc Children's nursing - BBB
Oxford Brookes - Child and mental health nursing combined - BBC

I am resitting all of chemistry AS and 2/3rds of Biology in order to up my grades but am still worried, am I applying to high? I also feel guilty that I should apply to my local uni (UEA at grades ABB) so I can stay at home to look after my mum but the grades put me off (as most BSc Children's nursing courses are BBB). I was thinking of switching King's for Keele (who's requirements are much lower at ACD) however the travel put me off. Money is also an issue as interviews are required and all of my current choices are easier and cheaper to get to by train.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Alice
Reply 1
I think those choices are reasonable. Your predictions exceed all the entry requirements, and universities should take account of your extenuating circumstances and resits when considering your results. Depending on the exact context, your young carer responsibilities could qualify you to recieve a lower offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending