The Student Room Group

What is the worst case of 'fussy eaters' you have heard of?

Share your stories!

I'm willing to eat anything once... Apart from dog (the opportunity has arose) :eek:

But some of my friends are seriously fussy. I know somebody who only eats sandwiches.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by EloiseStar
Share your stories!

I'm willing to eat anything once... Apart from dog (the opportunity has arose) :eek:

But some of my friends are seriously fussy. I know somebody who only eats sandwiches.

Vegans & Muslisms/jews.

I'm not that fussy I'll eat almost anything, just a bit weird like I don't like eating apples, but I love apple juice or apple pie.. I like cranberry juice, but hate eating cranberries. And I try separating food whenever possible, like for example rice from meat, veggies from meat & rice, gravy/sauce on the side. So all would be separate.

I won't eat tongues, chunks of just fat, organs like kidneys or liver etc.
Reply 2
Original post by McMicheal
Vegans & Muslisms/jews.

I'm not that fussy I'll eat almost anything, just a bit weird like I don't like eating apples, but I love apple juice or apple pie.. I like cranberry juice, but hate eating cranberries. And I try separating food whenever possible, like for example rice from meat, veggies from meat & rice, gravy/sauce on the side. So all would be separate.

I won't eat tongues, chunks of just fat, organs like kidneys or liver etc.

Oh I'm like that too. Hate tomatoes but ketchup and the sauce on pizzas I'm fine with. I separate food too.
Reply 3
I'm probably the worst fussy eater I know, I don't eat most staple foods such as cheese, onions, spices etc. I also don't eat rice, pasta, sea food, Chinese, Indian, Italian, Mexican etc. I've never even tried a slice of pizza before or a burger/hotdog etc.
Original post by Tw1x
I'm probably the worst fussy eater I know, I don't eat most staple foods such as cheese, onions, spices etc. I also don't eat rice, pasta, sea food, Chinese, Indian, Italian, Mexican etc. I've never even tried a slice of pizza before or a burger/hotdog etc.

Out of curiosity what do you eat?

I'm a little fussy, like if I don't like the look of it I won't eat it. I'd probably end up trying a little but because I'm already put off by sight and probably smell I still wouldn't like it. I don't eat peanut butter, candyfloss, nuts as a whole, mushrooms and visible onions.
Reply 5
Original post by beaverhausen
Out of curiosity what do you eat?

I'm a little fussy, like if I don't like the look of it I won't eat it. I'd probably end up trying a little but because I'm already put off by sight and probably smell I still wouldn't like it. I don't eat peanut butter, candyfloss, nuts as a whole, mushrooms and visible onions.

Not very much to be honest - I love potatoes, but I'm trying to lose weight at the minute so not really eating them. I usually opt for a sandwich on brown bread, or chicken breast with veg. I eat a lot of beans on toast and cereal. That's pretty much all I eat.

A lot of my eating problems are mental based like, as you said, if I don't like the look/smell/texture I won't touch it. I do actually like the smell of some chinese food my partner eats but the look puts me off completely. I also have issues with my weight too, so in my (probably warped) mindset I think, when it comes to things like pizza/burgers/takeaways etc. if I don't try it then I won't feel like I'm missing out. Crazy I know!
Original post by Tw1x
Not very much to be honest - I love potatoes, but I'm trying to lose weight at the minute so not really eating them. I usually opt for a sandwich on brown bread, or chicken breast with veg. I eat a lot of beans on toast and cereal. That's pretty much all I eat.

A lot of my eating problems are mental based like, as you said, if I don't like the look/smell/texture I won't touch it. I do actually like the smell of some chinese food my partner eats but the look puts me off completely. I also have issues with my weight too, so in my (probably warped) mindset I think, when it comes to things like pizza/burgers/takeaways etc. if I don't try it then I won't feel like I'm missing out. Crazy I know!

Not crazy! Totally understandable. This is probably totally off topic but I'm doing eating behaviour in psychology and it's so interesting to see some of the stuff I'm learning about in a real life context. Makes it so much easier to process ;D

I always thought potatoes were good for losing weight? I'm literally opting for potatoes instead of white rice, bread and pasta now to cut out the 'white carbs' and trim some fat (it's my birthday soon)
Reply 7
I'm the worst case I know of. I don't eat:
- Pasta
- Rice
- Fish
- Seafood
- Fruit (except for apples and grapes)
- Veg (except for potatoes, marrowfat peas and pickled beetroot)
- Chinese/ Indian/ Mexican food etc
- Nuts
- Hotdogs
- Yoghurt
My cousin. Not as bad as she used to be anymore, but anything not consisting of chicken breast, potatoes, chocolate or basic sliced white bread was pretty much off limits. I remember us being on holiday once and her freaking out when she found out the bread she was eating (and enjoying) was made with olive oil and proceeded not to touch anything else for the rest of the meal.
Reply 9
Original post by beaverhausen
Not crazy! Totally understandable. This is probably totally off topic but I'm doing eating behaviour in psychology and it's so interesting to see some of the stuff I'm learning about in a real life context. Makes it so much easier to process ;D

I always thought potatoes were good for losing weight? I'm literally opting for potatoes instead of white rice, bread and pasta now to cut out the 'white carbs' and trim some fat (it's my birthday soon)

I did psychology at A level a few years ago and I wish we'd done eating behaviour - would have been a nice change to the approaches and things, though we did do addiction which I really loved.

Potatoes are ok but, from what I remember from biology, they are a simple carbohydrate so obviously need to be eaten moderately. There is two types of carbs; simple and complex (or clean) The difference between the two is how quickly they are digested and absorbed.
Simple carbohydrates digest quicker therefore you feel hungrier soon. White bread is a simple carb, whereas wholemeal is a complex, therefore wholemeal is better if you are trying to lose weight.
Reply 10
Share your stories!

What series of events led to this opportunity arising??? :lolwut:

My little brother picks the tomato bits out of tomato soup...:facepalm2::facepalm::facepalm2:
Reply 11
Original post by danniibee
I'm the worst case I know of. I don't eat:
- Pasta
- Rice
- Fish
- Seafood
- Fruit (except for apples and grapes)
- Veg (except for potatoes, marrowfat peas and pickled beetroot)
- Chinese/ Indian/ Mexican food etc
- Nuts
- Hotdogs
- Yoghurt

We won't form any relationship if you behave like this!
Original post by Gax
What series of events led to this opportunity arising??? :lolwut:

My little brother picks the tomato bits out of tomato soup...:facepalm2::facepalm::facepalm2:

I studied abroad in South Korea, it's a delicacy there.
Reply 13
I studied abroad in South Korea, it's a delicacy there.

Do you regret not having a taste? :3
Original post by Gax
Do you regret not having a taste? :3

A friend of mine you could list everything he consumed on the fingers of your hands.

1) Milk
2) Apple juice
3) Orange Juice
4) Water
5) Crackers
6) Shreddies
7) Apples
8) Toast
9) Chocolate
10) Wheetabix

Unsurprisingly he's very pasty and quite short, his younger brother is substantially taller than him and has none of the food problems. He has gotten better, he'll eat things like cheese pizza (provided its not too cheesy) and chips.
I have retained the same eating habits I had as a child. I hate fish and milk on its own. I don't like broccoli, sprouts etc. but I suppose many people are the same.
And whenever I eat, I still save the best item til last, normally the meat. When I have a mcdonalds I always eat the fries first. And for any other meal I don't eat the food together, I will eat a bit of veg, a piece of meat then some potato, I won't put a piece of each on the fork and eat it together.
Reply 17

I lol'd
My husband won't eat any seafood (apart from deep fried battered cod but it's too unhealthy), most fruit and veg, anything with salt (or at least if he can taste it), anything with mushroom, butter and Japanese food.

I eat pretty much everything apart from those I'm allergic to and organs like liver etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am literally the most unfussy eater of all time. The only thing I've tried that tastes truly awful is Bananas, and that is probably because I was allergic to them as a kid.

I knew a guy at school who'd only eat breaded chicken. Some guy at university didn't like steak or Chinese food, and literally lived for eating Pizza.

Quick Reply

Latest